Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crowds

Exclamation crowds

does anyone have a fear of crowds ? I get super bad anxiety in cinema's, concerts, and anywhere where there is a large crowd and i feel i can't escape. please share your crowd phobias

Re: crowds

Hi Rachel
    I don't have a fear of crowds but i have had anx for years and being in crowded places always makes me anx mainly because i'm scared i'll be sick.
    It is fear that makes you feel like you do fear that something will happen to you but in truth nothing will happen, if you can ride it out, talk to yourself and tell yourself this is only fear thats making you feel like this then it will pass it takes practice and patience but you can do it hun, when that thought comes just tell yourself it is only a thought and nothing will happen just keep repeating it to yourself, it may work and you will be suprised how fear can be overcome by a simple technique, but as i said it will take time and patience.
    Love Sharon

It's weird, they say agoraphobia is a fear of open spaces but in my experience being in a crowded shopping centre is far worse than being in a meadow surrounded just by sheep and open space.

Hi Rachel,

I have a fear of being in crowds, and especially if that crowd is 'inside' somewhere - makes me feel 'trapped' and I feel as though I need to escape. It is better than it was tho' - I managed to get to my grandson's cup final game on Sunday at the local football ground and managed to stay through the whole match . I think it's because I have been making the effort to get out at least 2 or 3 times a week, even if it's just to the local supermarket. I guess the more I've done it, the more reassured I feel that I 'can' do it. On the other hand, I also have a fear of being anywhere outside on my own but that's another story and I'm trying to remember that 'one step at a time' will get me there in the end.

take care

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by mick_uk View Post
    It's weird, they say agoraphobia is a fear of open spaces but in my experience being in a crowded shopping centre is far worse than being in a meadow surrounded just by sheep and open space.
    Hi,

How true.

The word agoraphobia translates as "fear of the market place" so I can never fathom if they meant a bustling market with hoards of people or an open square market place, most weird that

I am absolutely fine in the countryside, have 2 horses and drive the 2 miles there every day to do them, ( I have had GAD and agoraphobia for over 30 yrs btw) sometimes feel panicky on the way there but the peace of the valley they are in is soothing to me.

Now, if I have the farrier due to visit or a hay delivery due, oh oh !! I am in a panic mode for days before, because its an appointment kind of thing, and I feel trapped.

Towns and supermarkets only on a very very good day as the drive from here is quite long, so usually home delivery for me from good old Asda.

Crowds and lights in supermarkets is what sets me off, so I agree that it is crowds that make panic worst, maybe a feeling of others seeing you in a state, although we dont show it - do we

All the best

Chris

i read a book called anxiety and phobia workbook by edmund j.bourne and it explains how agoraphobia is not really a fear of open spaces, its more like a fear of getting a panic attack in open spaces. its pretty true.
    The funny thing is, i feel more secure out in town on my own than with people, which is a bit strange! walking around town doesn't bother me, even with crowds, its more being seated in a closed room with alot of people. then comes the negative talk and the "what if's". I've certainly realised that 90% of my panic is due to negative self talk, and always predicting the future, and predicting that bad things will happen. i suppose the other 10% is a mixture of my upbringing ( one parent is a recovering alcoholic who has chronic anxiety) and factors such as stress, being tired and not taking care of myself.

I have suffered with GAD for over 30 years although not realising that there was a name for it until last when I was also diagnosed with depression. After a 'stint' in hospital (another of my fears), I seem to be getting a bit better than I was with the anxiety (I'm taking 20mg citalopram - have been on them a month). However I haven't been outside the house without Stewart (hubby)and he comes to all my medical and benefit appointments (he doesn't come in to see the doctor with me - I'm really comfortable with the doctor, and he's very understanding - thank god).
    My big test is tonight going to see Rhydian. I should be shaking at the thought of going to a crowded concert, but I'm determined not to think about it today and just go. Easier said than done, but I'm doing ok so far. I know Stewart won't mind if I can't stay and have to come out, and we have front row seats on the side, which means I can get up and go anytime I want to. I pulled out of going to see a musical that we had booked for last year - I couldn't leave my bed let alone get out of my door!
    I can relate to a lot in this thread - thanks for starting it Rachel
    Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by Keeway View Post
    I have suffered with GAD for over 30 years although not realising that there was a name for it until last when I was also diagnosed with depression. After a 'stint' in hospital (another of my fears), I seem to be getting a bit better than I was with the anxiety (I'm taking 20mg citalopram - have been on them a month). However I haven't been outside the house without Stewart (hubby)and he comes to all my medical and benefit appointments (he doesn't come in to see the doctor with me - I'm really comfortable with the doctor, and he's very understanding - thank god).
    My big test is tonight going to see Rhydian. I should be shaking at the thought of going to a crowded concert, but I'm determined not to think about it today and just go. Easier said than done, but I'm doing ok so far. I know Stewart won't mind if I can't stay and have to come out, and we have front row seats on the side, which means I can get up and go anytime I want to. I pulled out of going to see a musical that we had booked for last year - I couldn't leave my bed let alone get out of my door!
    I can relate to a lot in this thread - thanks for starting it Rachel
    Teresa

Keyway,
    good luck with the concert, i know its difficult, but just try and forget about your anxiety, after all, it's your thoughts that start the panic process if you do feel a twinge of anxiety, try and take some deep breaths, distract yourself, try and let go and just have fun. yes easier said than done as you said, but it can be done, as im learning.

Today i went on a class trip to the beach on a crowded bus. I also ate in a crowded restaurant, and didn't feel anxious all so im so delighted with myself. i just keep telling myself - it CAN be done. just takes a change of mind habits.

I can't do crowds. I did manage to go to the cinema last week, the first time in 6 years. The film had been showing for ages and there was less than 10 people in there. I also sat on the end seat, next to my daughter, and this made me feel safter is I had to make a quick getaway.

On the downside, my daughter had aquired a spare ticket to see Pink but no way could I have gone.

Still ,great news that you managed the cinema sheena
    The end seat thing in the cinema is very common

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information