Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seroxat

I was on SEROXAT for 4 years, and the stupid doctor I had took me off them cold turkey, that was 3 years ago, and I have not recovered since, I had to be put back on them for a year, and the doctor I have now weaned me off the over a period of 8 weeks, I cant say I had a nasty taste in my mouth, but did feel very anxious ans depression after coming off them. I am on Citalopram now, and have been on them for almost 8 weeks, and am finding them hard to get on with, I am agaoraphobic, and suffer from GAD, and panic, and the first few weeks on Citaolpram, I was dradtic, never got out of bed most days, lets hope they work soon. All the best Blossom

Hi, I'm sorry that I just keep asking stuff just now, and never say anything to anyone else, but this is all so new to me. It two weeks since my first panic attack, which came out of the blue, and I've had three since. I saw my GP after the first one, and he dealt with it then as if it had been a particularly bad episode of SVT, and advised me to take my beta blockers regularly, rather than on the "as required" level I had been using them in the past. He asked me to come back today for a review, and to be fair to him, he was very supportive, and spent a fair while with me, and talked through various treatment options. He certainly didn't just write me a prescription and chuck me out. However, he did feel that as I was feeling so bad, medication might help, and so he gave me a prescription for seroxat, and told me to see him gain in three weeks. He also told me to carry on with the Half Inderal LA, and gave me 14x2mg of diazapam. He did however say that they (the diazapam) were for emergency use only, and that I shouldn't take them all the time, and that he would be reluctant to prescribe any more of them for several weeks. He indicated really that they were only to give me a bit of a crutch till the seraxat kicked in. However, I read the patient information sheet in the Seroxat pack, and then looked it up on the internet, and now I'm terrified to take it. Do most people do OK on it? He assurred me it wasn't addictive, but it sounds as if loads of people have terrible problems coming off it. I also need to be able to function while I take it, as I've got young kids around, and I'm with them by myself a fair bit. Mind you, I'm not functioning that well right now anyway, so maybe that's a moot point. I know that this is ultimately my decision, but it would be really helpful to have some views. Interestingly, the GP also gave me the URL for this site, and told me to ask on the message boards for support as well, so he isn't just a "swallow a pill" sort of person. Thanks again. Jo

My honest opinion ..

I think meds are a great help and I would support anyone who wanted to take them providing they do work on themselves whilst on them to shift the original issues.

Seroxat has got a bad reputation for getting settled on them and as you already know - especially coming off them.

Fact - They have helped millions of people with few issues but for some they have been very difficult.
    All SSRI's have this potential but some seem to be more prone to it than others .

Maybe someone who has been on it will post their experience.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
    If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
    Robert Albert Bloch

Absolutely brilliant that he gave you this site though.

Where do you live ?

Meg

Hiya Jo

Just a quick note from sort of experience.

My mum was agoraphobic for most of my life (probably since I was 8 until about 5 years ago. ( im now 30)
    Thats when she started taking Seroxat.....for the first 2 weeks she was terrible, thought she was going nuts,felt sick, dizzy and stayed in bed.
    After that, within about 3 months she had booked and been on a cruise with my dad (who nearly fainted when he realised where they were going - it was a surprise for him to say thankyou for putting up with her all these years).

Now I have panic attacks, it was my mum who did everything for me when I wouldnt get out of bed.
    My mum who dragged me out shopping to get 'practice' being in town.
    My mum who goes to the pub and restaurants a couple of nights a week.
    In fact..my previously agoraphobic mum goes out more than I do...lol.

just a note....she says it was hell getting on them for her, her life is brilliant now and she doesnt regret taking them at all but she is scared to come off them in case she goes back to how she was - (pretty common feeling for us on meds I think).

I dont know whether this has put you off or made you want to try it but this is an honest account of what its been like for my mum.
    I hope it helped in some way

love sarah
    xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution

Thanks, Sarah. That is helpful. Meg - I'm in Scotland. Jo

I took seroxat 3 years ago and they were the best thing ever. Took a couple of weeks to get used to them then they worked a treat. Had no problems coming off them. When my panic and anxiety came back again this time I went to the docs and asked for them again. First couple of weeks felt dodgy but feel great again now. They are not addictive, they just help you over the rough patch.

Emma x

I took seroxat for 5 years...couldn't get off them and worried I wouldn't cope with the pressures of work.Eventually told my boss the situation in a round about way and stopped totally. Can't say i've ever been 100% in a natural way since and when things get too much I go downhill over about a 4 week period.Now about to try Effexor. Although from what I've read I've got mixed views on how I will get on with them. Good to see I'm not alone in this crazy world of Anxiety and depression.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information