Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pharmacophobia (fear of medication )

Pharmacophobia (fear of medication )

Does anyone else share my fear of Pharmacophobia (fear of taking medication) I feel like I am going mad. When my doctor prescribes medication I just can't put the first pill into my mouth it really scares me so much. I have been prescribed pencillin for a throat infection but I just can't take it, I break out into a cold sweat with palpitations etc. am I going mad, Please does anyone else have this fear.
    hugs
    Carol

HI, carol

I have a fear of new meds, so I understand. I had an allergic reaction to a med years ago, and it was a frightening experience, made even moreso by an exremely uncaring MD, who said, well you'll just have to let it wear off.

Bummer.

Anyway, this has carried over with me for years. If I find I absloutey HAVE to take something new, which, as i said, is extremely hard for me, here are some tips that may help:

1. Don't be alone - in other words, have a friend or family member around so, in case something happens, there'll be someone to rescue you. And, you don't even have to tell them what you're doing. Just the comfort of not being alone may help immensely

2. Make sure the doc has covered ALL that may or may not happen with this med (Thanks to bryan for allowing me to plagarize this one!)

3. Remember, with just the first dose, most meds, unless they are extremely powerful, won't kill you.

4. Take the med in a place where you have a phone, cell, or convenient window you can scream for help thru if needed. (Bet you a dollar - or pound- that you'll never need it. Its just for the comfort factor of knowng you can get help if you need it.

And, last, but most important, as I unfortunately found out the hard way -

5. NEVER GET ON THE WEB AND DO DEEP RESEARCH INTO EVERY ADVERSE REACTION, CAUTION, INTERACTIONS, OR STUFF LIKE THAT, THAT CAN HAPPEN!!!!

This doesn't mean, don't be uninformed. Sure, you need to know what your med is and what it can or may do, but set limits. As i was so kindly told on this site once, concerning this same subject, a litte knowledge is fine - too much will drive you bonkers!!

As I said, I know how you feel, so I'm just not popping this off to try to expound great philisophical knowledge upon you. Its just I know what its like to feel bad, need a med, and be scared to death to take it for fear of what it may do. (Which it probably won't)

Take care, and hang in there

Love ya

Rick

hi carol,

this seems to be a very common problem,as its another form of anxiety...firstly,you have strep throat,which is something i personally hate getting...the quickest way to relieve this,is to take penicillin,your gp will have checked to make sure your not allergic,so its quite safe for you to take,and trust me,you will feel better in 2/3 days...but with all medications,it is how you feel about it,if the thought really upsets you,then dont take it....but one last word on the subject...penicillin is one of the greatest discoveries of the modern world,and has saved many millions of lives...its your choice...i wish you well..bryan.

Hi Carol

I hate medication and I like you am very scared of taking anything other than over the counter stuff like aspirin and throat sweets.

I recently had some strong pain-killers for a cracked rib and just couldn't take them cos I was terrified of the side effects. I do have a good reason for this cos my panic came back last year (after being very mild for over a year) when I started taking high blood pressure tablets. The side effects were very much like panic attacks so it freaked me out.

I agree about not reading up too much on the Net cos it makes you worse but just be aware of what you are taking and whether it is suitable for you. I.E. I am allergic to Penicillin so I know not to take it.

I cannot offer you a solution cos I wish someone could convince me that taking drugs is ok and I won't get all the side-effects. I know that a lot of it is in mind but the symptoms are very real.

Rick's advice is very good so I should take it too.

Good luck Carol with the drugs

Nicola

Hiya Carol,

i am exactly the same with medication it scares me senseless. I will be taking the advice above as well.

Good luck let us know how you get on

Love
    lucky

Hi carol

I'm just like you have a draw full (mostly for anxiety) of tabs because i think right i'm taking them. They just might help but that is as far as it goes. Just started taking Cipalopram for anxiety and was given 10mg but have cut up to 5mg and so far its ok. This will be the first med i have taken that has been given to me by my doctor that i have decided i'm going to try and stick to taking it. Don't stress about taking your tabs you need them or your throat will get much worse.

Take care
    Pauline

pjpriest

Dear Pauline,

You might want to check the expiry dates on your drawer full of meds and take any umwanted or expired ones to the chemist for safe disposal.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

It's understandable you are going to be frightened of medication you have never taken before. I was given Venlaflaxin, it didn't like me and it scared me to death. It did such a good job scaring me that I didn't want to take the medication I am on now, and only agreed to take it because my husband wanted me too.

Try to stay calm, relax and make sure some one is with you. Tell them what you are scared of, and tell them what medication you have taken.

Thank you everyone for your replies they were all really helpful and reassuring and yes I did take the antibiotics. Thanks again

hugs

Carol

carol,

im glad you plucked up the courage to take them!!

I hope your throat infection has cleared now!!

Love
    lucky

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information