Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RETURNING TO WORK AFTER THE SUMMER HOL'S

RETURNING TO WORK AFTER THE SUMMER HOL'S

Hi all,

Just need to get this of my chest really.

I’m really working myself up about going back to work next week after having 7 weeks summer holiday of and I’m feeling so anxious about going back. [Sigh...]

I work in a college for the visually impaired and some with special needs.

We will have new students and supposedly new staff. As we have just had 3 good members of staff leave to pursue other careers.

The thing is it’s hard to get staff to cover the boarding side of the college where I work as it’s a lot of shift work and sleep-ins. The problem I have is that we are short staffed and as I only work part time. There is only 2 of us who work part time me and an older lady.

I always feel pressured into doing overtime and sometimes I just don’t want it! Hubby has a lot of extra hours and night shifts which I hate him being away at night so I won’t hardly see him either.

So I end up saying no to the overtime (well sometimes)[Duh!] and making excuses and then end up feeling really guilty. No one at work knows I suffer. I can hide it well and if I feel really bad I escape to the toilet or somewhere and get a few deep breaths.

It’s nice to have the summer off I just find it really hard to go back. It feels like starting a new job all over again. Which is crazy as I’ve been there nearly 2 years now. Never mind. Sorry for the moan. I’m sure I will be fine when I get back into it! I just wind myself up I’m my own worst enemy at times! :(

I'm of to Cornwall for a couple of days tomorrow so hopefullly that will revitalise me![8D]

I just feel so nervous like I've lost all my confidence [8)] about going back to work.[:I]

Any quick fixes or ideas on how to feel more confident would be great! Cheers

Thanks for letting me waffle,

Take care all,

Love & Wishes,

PIP'S X X [:O] X X

Hi Pips,

As you know I'm in the same boat as you!

I go back to work on Monday after the long summer break and I'm not looking forward to it either.

I think we get used to just doing our own thing over the hols and to go back to a routine of being at work for several hours a day seems too overwhelming.

I'm sure though that after the first day back we wont feel that we have had a break! Once the old routine is back in place, we will feel comfortable again and start looking forward to the next holiday!

Pips, you are no doubt contracted for a set number of working hours per week and if you don't want to work over time, then you don't have to! Don't feel guilty or feel that you have to work the extra hours, they will have to take on extra staff if they are that stretched.

Enjoy your break in Cornwall and I'm sure your confidence in yourself at work will return once DAY 1 is out of the way!

Kate x

Same here Pips. I return to work on Monday and this week I'm really suffering (one of the worse periods for a long time. I cannot think why but oh well). One wonders why we have holidays??? Last night I got no sleep whatsoever which is rare - adrenalin attacks just when I start to dose. The circle of worry and anxiety is also distressing me as I get less of a break from it. I can feel the clock ticking away to day 1.

On the other side - one thing I know for sure is that it will pass when I get back into the routine and the only defense against it I have found to have any good is to keep active - so I aim for exercise and to have nights out with friends up until day 1 (Challenges to pass). I am also aiming not to engage with negative or irrational thoughts I keep getting. I have been through this before and perhaps worse as I was younger so I keep up my rescue plans.

I do hope you feel better soon. Not long now. The build up to anything is so often worse than the thing itself (fear of fear). Oh well back to work before I go out for a nice big walk in the sun .

Regards Tulip

Thanks so much for your kind understanding replies Kate & Tulip.

I know its always the anticipatory anxiety that is the worse. You think I'd get used to it by now!

Going to start practicing some comforting POSITIVE thoughts and get the negative irrational ones out!!!!

I wish you both the best of luck back at work to.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X X X

Pips,

I used to work in school for four years and know exactly what you mean.

I did used to find after a couple of days back I was okay again though, so I guess its the anticipatory stuff again.

Now its more about the kids being at home than the work thing and I miss them like mad when they go back, me and my youngest would love nothing more than to potter away our days doing this and that and consuming chocolate on a regular basis. I dont think I was made for routine as I just love that freedom of no paticular time no particular place (dont we all lol).

Will be thinking of you on Monday and as Meg always says think of it as paid distraction.

Love Pig xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Pips

I feel like that after a week off lol so what you must feel like!

I hate going back after time off and it takes me a day or 2 to settle back in again. You will settle back in ok I am sure so try to forget it till next week so it doesn't ruin your holiday ok?

I hope you have a fab time in Cornwall and it doesn't rain like it did for us!!

Take care and catch up when you get back.

xx

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Thanks so much Piglet and Nic for you kind replies. It's helps so much knowing you understand.

I know there wil be alot of changes when I go back and i think that's whats making me anxious. Must move on though and deal with it huh!

Thanks again,

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

Hi Pips

Just wanted to let you know that I went back to work today after a 10 day break I had also had a four week avoidance blip of going on the bus as I had one of my first panic attacks going to work and had insisted on my boyfriend taking and collecting me from work.

The first part of the holiday was fine, but as I was nearing the end and having to contemplate going back to work, my attacks were happening on a regular basis and I thought I was going completely crazy. Having found this website, with all the positive thinking initiatives and looking at all the personal stories, it gave me a new lease of life and armed with my positive thoughts I caught the bus! There were a few moments but I managed to calm myself down and praised myself for doing so Being at work was a little shakey but I have been embracing all the positive things which I have overcome today and am on a bit of a high at the moment. I know that I am going to have good days and bad days and that hopefully the bad days will get fewer and fewer.

I just wanted to let you know that you can do this, it can be tough but it's worth it in the end

Kristi

Well done . Thats fabulous to hear that you managed to put it all into practice so soon and got there and did really well.

Congratulations

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Pips,

I'm in the same boat as you...i go back to work after summer hols next Monday and as you know from my recent posts that i'm having a tough time at the moment.

I was off work for 4 weeks before the summer hols only going back for the last 3 days of term. I work with children with special needs and i'm due to start a degree in September and a professional qualification in autism in January! I really don't know how i'm going to cope with everything...i thought i'd have "sorted myself out" by now and i can't believe that its nearly September!!!

Take care Pips - sending you lots of hugs

Maddie xx

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information