Thread: More 'blips'?

More 'blips'?

Hi,
    I know there have already been some posts on this but could do with some more reassurance. Have been taking Citalopram for 8 1/2 weeks and am on 40mg. After 6 1/2 I started to feel a bit better and was coping really well. Not sure if this was Citaloram or not but felt like it was as had been so ill for months. Last couple of days have felt like am back to square one with a feeling of constant panic - exactly how I used to be. Still working hard on the CBT and do the homework but this doesn't seem to make much difference to me.
    Am I just going through a blip or is the Citaloram not working after all? Have also reduced, (last week), the very small dose of Quetiapine have been on. Maybe this could be it? Please advise of your experiences as feeling v scared.
    Thanks all.

Re: More 'blips'?

Hi Tori,It does sound like the cause of youfeeling so anxious is the withdrawal of the quetiapine,I was on a similar med for a year (ONLY A LOW DOSE)and Ihad the same symptoms when I stopped taking them.Its now just a matter of waiting yet again ! for the drug to get out of your system.Hope you feel better soon.LUV Sue

Hi, I've been on it for a few days longer than you and I find myself experiencing days almost free of symptoms, then for the next few days I will be anxious and upset again. I cannot claim to be free of my anxiety.

On the other hand I am learning to take the "long view". Our problems have been with us for months or years and they are not going to disappear after a few weeks of citalopram. The citalopram helps to dull the worst of the pain and this is our chance to face things and deal with the things that make us feel distressed.

It's not a process that can be done quickly. In a computer game, you might be able to improve your character by 50% after a day of playing. In real life each day of effort and hard work might only bring you a 0.05% improvement.

I wish life was more like the computer games. I wish relentless self-improvement could happen quickly and easily. I'm learning, and it sounds like you're learning too, that it doesn't work like that.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Thanks for the reassurance. It means a lot. Frustrated but will just keep on keeping on. Thinking of trying psychodynamic psychotherapy once course of cbt finished. Thats v long term though!

Thread Information