Thread: Mucus causing upset stomach?

Mucus causing upset stomach?

I'm back again!

For months and months I've had what I think is sinus/cattarrh (spelling?) problems - recently I've had an upset stomach on and off and, my theory is, it's the excess mucus that's causing it. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and, if so, how have you sorted it out?!

As someone who doesn't like going to the doctors any more and is scared stiff of taking medicines - grrrr - I'm wondering if there's any natural remedies to tackle the cattarrh and then hopefully stop the upset stomach? I thought I'd ask here in NMP to save me googling and coming up with all sorts of ailments for myself.

I see other people getting sinus remedies from the Chemist and wish I could do the same but I either get side effects or convince myself that I'm going to get side-effects from most medicines - grrrr again! I decided to buy some "Bazooka" to hopefully blitz a verruca - then made the mistake of reading "you should not take this if...." on the instructions - it said not to use if you have poor circulation - which I have - so I didn't use the blasted stuff!!!

I wish I knew how I got into this state - a few years ago I used to be just plain and simple agoraphobic - sigh!!

Thanks for reading this!!

Wendy

Re: Mucus causing upset stomach?

Dear Wendy,

So sorry to hear you are feeling unwell. I suffered terribly from sinus and catarrh, so I know how you must feel. I used to get severe post nasal drip (mucus running down the back of my throat) and at times this used to be bloody due to nosebleeds as well! I also used to get an upset tummy too.

I was totally fed up and depressed with these symptoms and like you was anxious over the side effects of over the counter remedies. I did a lot of reaserch and decided to go down the "natural" route. It has not been easy, but I found that dairy products made the mucus much worse! I have now given up anything dairy and now use soya products. I have also begun to use a saline nasal spray called "Sterimar" which is a sea water spray that you use up your nose which helps to thin the mucus and relieves the congestion. By doing this, I cannot believe the difference! It has helped me so much!

I hope this has helped?

Take care.

Kindest regards Nikki. :-) x

Nikki, thank you SO much for your reply - you've certainly put my mind at rest!! It's interesting what you say about dairy products, I've been wondering the same thing, believe it or not. Also, if you take a look through my previous posts, I've been very anxious about nosebleeds too! I'll have to look up Sterimar, although I have to admit it puts the wind up me a little thinking of squirting something up my nose - oooerr!! A while back I started filling a large jug with boiling water and breathing the steam in, maybe I'll start doing that again too!

Thanks again Nikki - you've certainly taken the edge of my anxiety today - phew!!!

Wendy xxxx

hey Wendy, have you tried inhaling vicks vapour rub? I do this, and also get in a shower, but make sure the room is steaming - then cough cough cough and spit it all out, dont swallow it back down.

Also, if you have a gym near by, the steam room is incredible for mucus. I have excess mucus also, and it makes me feel sick and like i have a heavy chest. You are not alone hunny.

all my love x x x

Thank you 21girl - I've just been inhaling steam in the past but will try menthol crystals or Vicks too! Unfortunately, I'm agoraphobic so can't get to a gym but I might just go and have a long soak in a hot bath! Thanks ever so much for the advice.

Wendy xxxxx

no probs hun, get well soon xxx

and sorry about the gym, i didnt realise :( but a long hot bath would be very good xx

I know this is an old post but it matches my symptoms exactly and wondered if any one else for the same and had found remedies that work other than the sterimar?

Recently I've used Eucalyptus oil (just a few drops) in a bowl of boiling water as an inhaler and it's worked absolute wonders for my airways.

Thread Information