Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devising an Analytical Approach to Combat Anxiety

Devising an Analytical Approach to Combat Anxiety

I'll try to keep this one short, no guarantees, but I'll try. [^]

Having suffered from the grips of the little anxiety monster for the past 8 years I feel I have come a long way in this time.

I have dealt with a lot of issues, I have read, and read some more, I have talked to hundreds of people on here as well as other sites, by now I really should be equipped with enough positive information to tackle any issues related to anxiety with relative ease.

However, I'm still sitting here posting these stupid little questions.

But, that is exactly part of the problem; too much thinking and not enough practice.

The last thing I'm going to do is to turn this thread into one about my thinking habits though, there would just be no end, it would be mental suicide for all parties involved. [:P]

Instead, I've got a nice simple question.

Since I'm feeling a little spurt of motivation recently, I'm feeling like I want to go and confront that little anxiety monster again, rather than just thinking about what he is up to. I want to have words with him! [}]

All these years, this information that I have taken in has just been thrown to the bottom of my mind, I don't do organised, and that very same rule applies to the way I file my thoughts. They are just thrown about all over the place, they are all there, but no way of referencing them when needed most.

What this means, is that when I do need them most, I can't find them.

In short, I understand anxiety but lack the organisational and analytical skills to move forward.

I am working on it though, and wondered if anyone here had the same problems, or some good tips on dealing with it.

I'm coming to realise that an analytical method, practiced reguarly, is the only way to go, sticking to the method day in, day out.

What I really want to know is what game plans people have here. Do any of you have any serious methods planned out to put some structure into your recovery, or do you just all ponder about like me?

I need a game plan, any tips?

mico

Mico

When I saw your post I thought it was going to a deep thoughtful one lol and instead it is a kind of reach out for some help which is great too.

I think I had to keep doing things in my life so it had structure and I couldn't "think" too much about it. For example, I had to work cos I lived alone and paid the bills myself and didn't want to end up back at Mum's in Surrey. So in my mind I said "you can't give up work no matter how bad you feel cos the alternative would be worse". That is no offence to my mum but I didn't want to be back at home and lose my independence.

So, I stayed at work, panic'd a lot, felt crap, went home and sat on the settee all weekend then went back to work again. I had no real help and had no idea what was going on with me.

I then realised that I had to move on so I got some therapy and worked hard at that. Spent many years afterwards doing nothing about my problems cos I didn't know what to do really.

This site came along and it has helped me tremendously and Meg gave me the confidence to do other stuff that I needed to and realise that i could move on.

I now stuck in a bit of a rut and I too am looking for answers to some problems. I need to change some mind thoughts and that is the hardest part.

I have never stopped doing stuff cos of my anxiety but I still don't feel good doing some of it so I am working on that. Well to be honest I am looking to get some external help again as I can't seem to change some thought patterns.

So after I rambled on I think what I was trying to say that I don't sit around thinking about doing things I get up and do them (JFDI as you know) and it has been hard driving to some of the meet-ups but it has given me a chance to face some fears and realise they can't kill me even though they make me feel crap when I do them

I think what I am saying is it is all well and good to sit and read books, go to CBT, take meds, eat well etc etc but unless you actually do something with all this information it is a waste of time.

Unless you change your life and face things then it never gets any better and you do just sit and think a lot.

Think of something you want to do that you "don't think" you can do and aim to challenge it head on. Don't think about it for weeks just go out and do it.

Not sure this helped but just some thoughts anyway.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Hi Mico,

tricky one that. I don't really think i have a game plan i suppose i just get out and JFDI like nic really. Although somethings are difficult and uncomfortable to do at times.

I suppose I tell myself to do stuff in in fear of becoming agrophobic.

I know i dwell to much on things and that doesn't help matters at all.

My trouble is i'm over organised and such a planner and it upsets me when i can't plan. I usually find when i do plan stuff it all goes belly up! LOL

The good thing would be to find a happy medium. Accept each day as it comes and cross that bridge when you come to it! (sorry Nic i know bridges arn't you thing! You conquered it though!!!!!!!!)

One of my favourite quotes is : “Recovery Doesn't Always Mean Being Completely Free Of Anxiety: The Aim Is To Get It Down To A More Normal Level" and that is what I am aiming for!

That's how my wacky mind works anyhow!

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

That's exactly my thoughts Nic. But you know me, 'thoughts' being the operative word. Unfortunately that is one of the greatest barriers for me.

Which was the entire point of this post. I need a well devised game plan so I can wake up on a morning and actually have an inteligent well layed out set of instructions that I can tackle on a daily basis without having to think about it.

However, I could quite easily be laying out this plan right now myself. But, no, I'd rather sit here and think about it a bit first

Just wondering how other people go about it really, then a plan will be put into action sometime this week. I'm getting bored with anxiety, time to move on I think [^]

Good post Nic, thanks

mico

Hi Pips

All very true.

However, I'm currently finding that I'm having to go out seeking those bridges to move further forward. I've done all the obligatory bridges in the past, but I still have issues (mainly SA) where I really need a regular practice in order to discontinue old habits.

Don't think I've met an over-planner before though, that just doesn't register in my untidy little mind.

Thanks

mico

Mico

Glad you liked my reply - thought I was waffling a bit lol.

I know you don't suffer from OCD but did you see the Paul McKenna one last week?

He gave this woman precise things to do at precise times of the day and she had to stick to it each day.

So get up at 9am, have breakfast. At 10am walk the dog. At 12 eat lunch. You know the sort of thing I mean.

Ok so what do you want to do tomorrow or what do you think you ought to do tomorrow?

Can you start with something like that and plan around it?

It has to involve things you don't want to do or are uncomfortable doing though. To push yourself.

Give me an example ok?

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Yeah, I did see that actually Nic, that was the only bit I've seen of the entire series (if it is a series, I have no idea). You just reminded me of it. But yeah, I have kind of been pondering things like this.

And when people say they are waffling, that's usually the posts I like best.

mico

Hi Nic.
    I too need to change some mind thoughts. If you come up with anything that you find helpfull it would be good to hear it. I still have a lot of 'What Ifs' Has I have said before I am trying to change them to 'So Whats', but sometimes it is very hard.

Best Wishes
    Jenny xx

J. Farmer

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">One of my favourite quotes is : “Recovery Doesn't Always Mean Being Completely Free Of Anxiety: The Aim Is To Get It Down To A More Normal Level" and that is what I am aiming for!
    Love PIP'S X X

<div align="right">Originally posted by pips - 30 August 2005 : 20:22:02</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Hi Mico,

I agree with Pips that's what I am aiming for too.

At the moment the game plan is obviously to get back out on my own so I have enrolled on the cbt telephone course with NOPANIC (just incase you hadn't heard me mention that lately lol).

I also have a goal of getting out at least once a day - sometimes this is just my usual evening stroll with my youngest or it can involve SHOPS if I'm on a good day. The goal in and amongst this is to work on actually trying to relax and enjoy the experiences rather than just enduring them.

The ultimate goal is returning to work.

We all make lists in this house Pips - I like to tick off things at the end of the day as its so satisfying even if I don't manage them all.

Love Piglet xx

**I'm coming to realise that an analytical method, practiced reguarly, is the only way to go, sticking to the method day in, day out. **

Mico - you have described the objectives and methodology of CBT to a tee.

Meg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information