Thread: Tube phobia - should I bother with tube at all?

Tube phobia - should I bother with tube at all?

Hello!

I am having a course of CBT - after 10 years of panic/travel phobias, I am having a refresher course after I had a slight relapse about a year ago.

Anyway I'm now able to get on the overland trains ok, and buses were never really a problem. So getting to work and around London is ok.

The thing is I have a real problem with the tube. I've tried with my therapist a few times now. With her, I'm fine (apart from when the tube line splits into two and I know it stops in the tube - then I get quite anxious, but I'll do it if she is there). We had a session yesterday morning - we went one stop together and then back again. Then she said I had to do it by myself, which I did. The journey out was fine, I didn't have much anxiety. On the return journey however, I did have a momentary panic - I seemed to recover quite quickly, although I still had anxiety for the journey. I told her this and then I just couldn't get back on the tube by myself. We did another two trips with each other, but I just couldn't muster up the courage to do it again by myself.

Do you think I should keep persevering with the tube, or should I just forget it as I don't actually NEED to use the tube to get to work etc, although it would be useful. I'm just finding it SO difficult with the tube. So annoying, as the time between stops is usually very short (shorter than some of the stops between overground stations, for example). I just seem to have a real sticking point with it.

Has anyone got any advice for me? I feel a bit down about it as my therapy was going well and ultimately I want to be able to get on a plane again. I also feel a bit bad for my therapist, because she knows that I know that I just have to get on the train and expose myself to the situation, but it's too scary!!!!!

Re: Tube phobia - should I bother with tube at all?

I have exactly the same thing!! why is yours? mine is cos of getting stuck in tunnels and ultimately, if there was a problem down there you would be stuck and you wouldn't be able to get out.

my husband says this is silly becuase it's never happened (apart from one terrorist attack and the Kings X fire - but now no smoking on tube and no wooden escalators) but I just can't help it when I'm there.

I'm ok if it's more or lses empty or if it's the lines that are near the top of the ground e.g. district & circle and met lines etc but NO WAY can i get the jubilee - too far underground

I tihnk I would be ok if i could speak to someone who worked for London underground who could explian to me safety procedures and how they'd evacuate you if there was a problem

i know the fear is disproportioante to the danger but I really really can't stand it and if you are doing some distance across London it really does take too long by bus - thought must admit I did the bus for years!

sorry if this post isn't much help but let me know how you get on; it's very upsetting and the CBT stuff is about controlling how you feel, doesn't really remove the fear does it?

Dear KR I have problems with tube travel too. My problems are to do with claustrophobia, fear of being stuck in a tunnel, having a panic attack and being unable to get out. Recently I travelled all the way to Sloane Square for the Chelsea Flower Show. Most of that journey was done on the Jubilee line because it is fast and fairly empty. Unfortunately it is very noisy. I used my ipod and this provided the distraction that I needed. When we needed to get out there were lots of French students barring the way. They did move eventually. I'm not sure if I could cope with this journey everyday. Once a year is a bit different. The following day we visited my Dad in hospital in London. That journey was more stressful as we nearly got on the wrong train plus it stopped in a tunnel. I coped but I'm still not very good with those feelings. Also I tried to find a loo a Starford station. There are some there but they were shut for cleaning! This would have caused panic previously but I was able to continue my journey without too many problems.

I went to London last year and i have avoided the tube myself so can understand where you are coming from. I also used the buses instead. Just to say well done for even getting on the tube which i wasn't able to do. I would be quite scared on it as it seems to go really fast and i get motion sickness! Maybe next time I have to go to London then hopefully I will be brave enough to go on it!

Thread Information