Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CONTROLLED BREATHING

CONTROLLED BREATHING

Has anyone ever used controlled breathing to get through a panic attack with good results ?

Yest i went to my hairdressers and had a major Panic attack, dizzy,sweaty,palpatations,shaking.
    Because i knew i couldnt run out with my hair half cut I suddenly remembered the breathing technique mentioned on this site.
    I started doing it and couldnt believe all the horrible sensations went, I then felt normal ?
    I just cant believe this worked , I have never remembered to do this before whilst having a Panic attack and I believe it was because i couldnt run away?
    I am really hoping and praying this isnt just a one off situation because Its the sort of help i need,
    I keep thinking was it because i was sitting down ?

I would love to hear from others who have used this method with good results.

mirryx

i find this works with panic symptoms and sometimes with attacks. However nothing really helps me when I'm having a major attack as I tend to be physically sick with my attacks. It is a great method though and has got me thru some difficult times. I have a hypnosis cd which uses breathing techniques throughout, it also advises you to clench an arm, breathe in thru your nose, hold your breath for 4 seconds then breathe out thru your mouth counting backwards from8-1. You are then advised to clench the different parts of your body repeating these steps. The final action is to clench your whole body hold the breath and release as stated. I find this helps as you can actually feel the tension flow from your body. Hope this helps and isn't too confusing, I'm not great at descriptions [8D]

"You die if you worry and you die if you don't"

**I started doing it and couldnt believe all the horrible sensations went, I then felt normal **

There you go - your very own coping tool now that goes everywhere with you. It won't have been a one off. Find another situation to try it out in soon

technique How Do You Do The Breathing
    Breathing.. wow
    Breathing Techniques

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Mirry

It works well for me too and will calm you down so well done on finding something that helps you.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Hi Mirry

I have used this technique in the past and it works for me too.
    ** I knew I couldnt run asway **
    Yes you could have, hair half done, You could have, but you never
    you remembered something that could help and you stayed to
    face Mr Panic.
    WELL DONE Mirry, be proud of yourself[^]

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Yep controlled breathing worked for me last week, there I was sitting in the dentist chair and nearly lost the plot for no reason as ive never been worried about dentists before, I nearly fled out the door but regained my thoughts and did breathing and soon settled down, it was horrible, but it worked!

Thanks for your replys, now i know it was probally a silly question as it must work ,other wise it wouldnt be recommended.
    Its just when i have major panic i usually cant even remember my own name and its like i am absolutely gripped with fear.

Another thing that happens alot is i feel like i want to cry after having a panic attack (usually do) but this time i didnt cry afterwards i just kept on chatting like nothing happened.It certainly wasnt easy to do but now i am worrying "will i remember to do it in my next attack" ?
    Meg: I have a situation today to try it at, SCHOOL RUN! [xx(]
    Rois: I like the little quip at the end of your page
    "you die if you worry you die if you dont", an old lady said this to me last week and i remember it calmed me down.
    NOMORE PANIC/LINDYLOU/ JILL: You have given me more faith knowing it works for you too, THANKS x

mirryx

You're not alone in that one good luck

GOING BACKWARDS?

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Mirry,
    I did exactly the same a couple of months ago. I had just finished having my hair washed, sat up and the dizzy fainty feeling came over me. I thought this is it I am either going to faint or be sick. So I said to myself come girl breath !!!! I started the slow breathing and it began to get better. The funny thing is no-one noticed a thing.

Jenny xx

J. Farmer

Hey,

In what way do you do the controlled breathing? I have been trying to make sure i breathe out more than i breathe in. Is this right??!

tracy x x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information