Thread: missed heartbeats, still worried

missed heartbeats, still worried

can anyone who suffers from these as a bad sympton please describe what these feel like for them cos i'm seriously cracking up with this. Its not so much the missed heartbeat its the feeling in throat afterwords like can't get breath in. It doesn't last that long (breath feeling) but scares the hell out of me and i have to kind of bolt up and check i can take a breath in then it just feels consticted for a little while. I'm kinda paranoid now cos i put that last post about having this for ages and everyone else seems only to have it a alittle while but its probably more like me getting frequnt eptopics rather than it lasting continuosly. I have this thing about missed heartbeats and breathlessness as this is a bad sign(so ive read) but other posts ive read people say it takes their breath too when it happens so i'm just hoping that if you have them quite frequent like in a block of missed heartbeats your breath will feel funny for a little while longer?

Also my arm went numb and kind of felt like it was burning while this was happening (i thought i was gonna have a stroke) does anyone else have this. Could this have just happened due to me panicking?

i have been to the doctors and had ecg's and docs put everything down to anxiety but i just don't feel reassured, can anyone please help that also has these quite bad cos its wrecking me now.

thanx, linz

Hi Linz

I don't know if you've read any of my posts, but I've had the missed heartbeats/ectopic beats for over three years now and they still terrify me. I'm so worked up with the heartbeat thing I don't take much notice of my breathing at the time, but I think you're probably getting into a panic and thats why you're breathing seems strange. I get fluttering feelings as well, but in the middle of my chest and these can go on throughout a day. They are really scary but I have also been told my aren't dangerous.

If you need to talk please PM me.
    Take care,
    Love, Linda.x

hi Linz,

I get that burning sensation in my arm quote often and it really is just a result of you panicking. Nothing to worry about!! Quite a few people here get that feeling in your throat like you describe like you can't breath. There is no right or wrong amount of time to suffer from this. Everyone is different. Just remember that these symptoms can't hurt you!!

Sarah

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

hi Linz and welcome-
    I used to have the missed heartbeat thing (I had it for years).
    I don't know why I don't have it anymore except for the fact that I had so many tests in the beginning of it all that I knew it was just a panic thing so I just moved on to other symptoms (woohoo - NOT) I did get the numbness in the arm thing and sometimes my face went numb.
    anyway - I get the feeling all the time that I can't get a good deep breath in. I have been to the doc and had lung function tests and blood work - you know how all that goes.
    The only way that I have found to prove to myself that any symptom is panic related is to busy myself with anything - anything that will take my mind off of it. If the symptom then doesn't bother me - it's panic related. Haven't found any symptom yet that doesn't go away when my mind is occupied by something else

Sandy
    (eeyorelover)

thanx all, just got back from doctors and he said nothin to worry about but its just so hard to be reassured. I spoke to another doc about it yesterday and he said i'm probably jusy hyperventilating. I said no cos i know what that feels like it's different. so today i got in a mess panicing and managed to get a cancellation to see my doc (getting embarrising now the receptionists must thing i'm nuts). This doc i saw today said it was SIMILAR to hyperventilating, the funny breath you get after eptopics, but not the same and if you geta few together(like i do)then it can make your breathing a bit funny plus the dizziness i was getting. I think googled too much cos i kept saying to the doctor yeah but i though if you got breathless and/or dizzy after ectopics that it was bad, and he just kept saying - there's nothing wrong with your heart.

I think he could see how much reassurance i needed cos i was asking a million questions like

so they can go on for hours without being harmful and he said yep, then i was asking if it was ok to go to sleep with them and then to wake up with them, and he said yep, and to have them on and off all day lol, i sounded like a mad woman.

anyway i feel a bit better just worked up, the throat thing has just come on and i havn't had that for weeks - i guess you just go around in circles until u stop being scared.

anyway thanx for listening and replying all
    linz x

Hi Linz,

I get the etpoics beats on and off throughout the day depending on how worked I am and I also get the funny throat tickling sensation too. I went to my GP with this too and I was advised its just the restiction of your throat muscles brought on by anxiety... not dangerous at all and you wont stop breathing....

I worry a lot too about the etopic beats as I think anything to do your with your heart would upset anyone but anxiety does do fuuny things to our bodies and our minds... true acceptance of these symptoms as anxiety only and nothing more is the most important step on the road to recovery.

You are not alone with these symptoms.... they are common.

sadie

palpatations
    Missed heartbeats!
    sorry for being silly....but....
    Palpitations? Reassurance needed and some answers!
    Missed heartbeat question again
    IS THERE ANYMORE I CAN DO????
    ectopic heart beats
    Doc made ectopic fear worse

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Linz,

Yeah my heart missed a couple of beats today - I didn't think it was going to start again, so I had to take a really deep breath and hope for the best - luckily I am still here! (as i always am after one of these episodes) but it doesnt get any easier [xx(]

and the burning arm sensation, yep - I've noticed that too...thats when I decided to go and get help because it all just became too much for me. Feeling loads better now - much calmer...although i do still get palpatations in my heart. I found reducing my caffeine intake helped loads with this problem though.

Hope you are okay now
    Take care
    Luv Curly xx

Linz, I get those missed beats as well. When they happen it used to make me sit bolt upright and try to breathe "properly". Now I try to ignore and not react to them. Mostly this works but sometimes I get a bit panicky.
    I don't know if it's a coincidence but I find they often come if I've got my neck bent forward i.e if I'm slouching or laying so that my chin is near my throat, for example watching TV on the sofa or even in bed if the pillows are too high. As I say, it may just be coincidence but it does seem that if I correct my posture it seems to help.
    I've read that exercise cures them but I'll have to let you know as I've just started "proper" exercise again........but that's another story!!

The other thing I've found is that they seem to come more if you actually think about them so I try to ignore them now.

Good luck,
    Trev

hi there i too get missed beats .but they have virtually gone over the last few months i had a really bad one that lasted for 4 beats in a row i thought that was it. i used to get them every single day. but now maybe only once every few weeks or more. what i do no is i used to get them from about the age of 10. but took no notice of them. the only thing ive done different since they have been gone is to drink loads of water....try this im convinced thats what is helping me. instead of the missed beats i tend to get a fast heart rate now instead so u cant win

Thread Information