Thread: Numbness around the mouth

Numbness around the mouth

Hi all,

I'm a 21 year old who has suffered from SA for over 5 years, and the reason why I have SA is due to being bullied very badly through high school. I bought the downloadable version of the Linden Method a few weeks ago in the hopes that it could help me, but have just read that it isn't all it's cracked up to be...It is the first sign of hope I have received in a long time and to hear it's not going to help me much makes me feel awful, for lack of a better word.

I'm at a point where I just don't know what to do, but there is one symptom I have that I hope someone can suggest something that could help with it. The symptom is that my mouth is always numb. When i talk it's like I'm not lip-synching to what I'm saying...Not only that, it's hard to show emotion like smiling (everything feels 'forced') and I jsut don't know what's happening to me, I am terrified of the physical reactions anxiety is producing but this one inparticular. I used to love talking and worked at a newsagency casually for 4 years, talked to people all the time and loved it! But now it's just an absolute nightmare...The only time it feels normal to talk now is when I've had a few vodka's on the weekend! The same goes for my legs as well, they're always numb and I feel like I'm controlling a tank when I walk! If these symptoms were to go I think I'd be so much better...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help with this? Does anyone else suffer in this way?

Thanks for hearing me out!

hi Lobster,

Welcome aboard!!

I can relate to the numbness around the mouth. I used to get this quite a bit. Also in my legs when I was feeling very anxious and nervous.

What help have you got so far? Have you tried medication or counselling?

Sarah

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Hi Lobster

Welcome aboard.

I too have had the numb mouth thing many years ago.

Take a look at the website and read all you can on there as it will really help - www.nomorepanic.co.uk

Hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Hi Lobster

Hope the above helps and welcome to the site

[^][^]

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
    Will I ever be free?
    Wake me up from this nightmare.
    Please just give me the key!

Lobster

Don't judge the programme from what you've read here or anywhere else.
    It may help you and its a shame if you don't give it your best shot from hearsay . But of it doesn't do what it says on the tin do get a refund.

Numbness is common. Think you've now got a fixation about the mouth just like some get about the throat, the heart

Have you tried singing loudly and lengthily to yourself for prcatice ?

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Lobster

I used to have a numb mouth too , especially the gums, I still have it now and again. Not nice huh.

Florence.

*He who loses money, loses much; He who loses a friend, loses much more, He who loses faith, loses all.*

Wow, what a nice welcome! Thanks everyone.

seh1980, I have tried various medication and counselling, albeit very briefly.

Some of you mentioned you 'used' to have the numb mouth thing - Did this go away over time or did you get over it through the help of CBT? Did any medication help with this symptom?

Meg, I haven't tried singing, maybe I should give it a go (my 3 cats can be the audience)!

Right, time to read the info on this site...Thanks again for the help!

Hi Lobster

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Did this go away over time or did you get over it through the help of CBT? Did any medication help with this symptom?</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    For me it went with time, time is a great healer .

Florence.

*He who loses money, loses much; He who loses a friend, loses much more, He who loses faith, loses all.*

Hey love,
    I actually had this particular symptom the other day. I was sitting in a car on my way to a job and suddenly for no reason at all my lips were numb and tingling...I had no clue what brought it on and it caused a bit of anxiety...I started to regulate my breathing. After that it controlled it and the sensation went away...I suppose I was hyperventilating without even realizing it...As soon as I focused on my breathing it all vanished....I feel numbness in arms and legs all the time...You're alright mate

~Shannon~

Thread Information