Thread: Finally done it..

Finally done it..

... after two years of citalopram i've finally stopped. I'm a little worried about getting used to how I am without them now. So far it seems like similar side effects to getting on, i'm getting extreme night sweats my poor boyfriend has taken to sleeping as far away as possible. I'm getting really bad mood swings as well, much similar to how I ws before I started taking them. I feel really down, and really don't want to leave the house. Wierdly my old paranoia has come back and my lack of self-confidence with people. I hope this is temporary, i'm scared of becoming reliant on 'citalopram' me. It's taking a lot of willpower to not just get right back on them again, but I really don't want to. I'm tired of taking pills. I'm worried that apart from the anxiety and depression it's all about (for me anyway) becoming someone else... oh dear...
    has anyone felt similar? I could do with some support, my partner doesn't quite get it he's a rock and has quite a mellow life so far.

thanks

Re: Finally done it..

That's good if you feel that strongly about it & if you are ready mentally to go off it. The first month is always the hardest going on or off pills, then the next month gets a bit stable, & a bit more the next etc. With the side affects that's how it goes anyway.

Make sure you check in with your doctor & make sure everything is as it should be. I went off anti depressants when I was 17yrs cause I was out of school & away from a hard home life. After my life changed I felt safe & didn't need them. I went on them again when I was 24yrs because of & permanent injury & stuff that happened after that (long story). I will only go off my medication when I know I have recovered emotionally, which I haven't yet. I don't feel safe in myself yet. nearly maybe... I hope

If your life is going OK & you feel strong that's good. You know what you need more than anyone else can. There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to this stuff. Whatever helps anyone cope better, or feel better is what is right & you have to be the judge of that...

Be happy. Do what feels right & stay strong

Melody

Quote Originally Posted by nicoleannette View Post
    ... after two years of citalopram i've finally stopped. I'm a little worried about getting used to how I am without them now. So far it seems like similar side effects to getting on, i'm getting extreme night sweats my poor boyfriend has taken to sleeping as far away as possible. I'm getting really bad mood swings as well, much similar to how I ws before I started taking them. I feel really down, and really don't want to leave the house. Wierdly my old paranoia has come back and my lack of self-confidence with people. I hope this is temporary, i'm scared of becoming reliant on 'citalopram' me. It's taking a lot of willpower to not just get right back on them again, but I really don't want to. I'm tired of taking pills. I'm worried that apart from the anxiety and depression it's all about (for me anyway) becoming someone else... oh dear...
    has anyone felt similar? I could do with some support, my partner doesn't quite get it he's a rock and has quite a mellow life so far.

thanks
    I can relate totally to what you're saying. I came off 4 weeks ago and the first 7 - 10 days were not much different whilst ON the meds but then I got the side-effects similar to those when I started on them (still have a bit). My Dr says its a time thing OR I can start taking a low dose again if I want - I think I'd rather not...I am glad I read your post, it reminded me I was not going backwards!

well done bob x
    sara

Hey I am on them for the second time after a bad episode. But when I came off this first time last year I had no symptoms and I reduced my dose 30mg - 20mg for 1 month and 20mg - 10mg for 1 month and then off completely. Hang in there! You can do it! xx

Thread Information