Thread: Prescribed Propanalol today, already taking Benzos and Anti Depressants!

Prescribed Propanalol today, already taking Benzos and Anti Depressants!

Well I went to the GP today to tell him about my worries that I have bowel cancer. I had worked myself up into a real state as I was sure he would at least want to do some blood tests or even send me for a colonoscopy. But no, he just listened to me and said I should eat less fibre! As I am 54 and going to the loo more often than I am used to and it's been going on for a couple of months, I really thought he didn't listen to me.

I also talked to him about my 7yrs of hot flushes, lack of sleep and the fact that my headaches which had pretty much gone away, have come back with a vengeance and every week I am getting one that lasts at least a whole day.

His response to me was to suggest I try Propanalol. Apparently it will help with my anxiety, reduce my hot flushes and help with the headaches.

I'm really scared about using yet another medication, even though apparently I can take these on an as needed basis. If this is the answer to so many of my problems I don't understand why I wasn't offered this before and in the surgery I was so anxious I didn't ask the GP.

I would really appreciate any advice from anyone else who may be taking Propanalol for these conditions or from anyone who has any general advice about taking it.

Thanks

Re: Prescribed Propanalol today, already taking Benzos and Anti Depressants!

hi there just thought id post some reassurance to you.I have suffered from all you have described and was advised to take propranolol by my gp everyday at 1st then as and when needed, it was the best thing he could ever prescribe for me the anxiety all but disappeared the flushes went overnight and the pounding that i had constant in my chest went altogether,i now take them only on the days i feel more stressed or anxious which im pleased to say isnt that often anymore due to the other medication i take.i hope this answers your queries and feel free to pm me if you want to talk

take care chin up

heidi xx

Thanks for that heidi, much appreciated

Hi there could you tell me how long it took for propranolol to start working as I started last Fri and dont really notice much difference yet?Do I have to give them longer?Also can they affect your temperature as I have never been so cold in all my life!!

im on all tree now to jsut to get me thought my fear of takeing antidepressants lol

Hiya,

I'm on a pretty similar regime it's not an issue..... thus far it works for me!!!

Good Luck
    B

Thread Information