Thread: cant sleep - am on CITALOPRAM (CIPRAMIL)

cant sleep - am on CITALOPRAM (CIPRAMIL)

Hi

Does anyone taking Cipramil have trouble sleeping?

I have been on these (10mg) for 10 weeks now and for the past 6 weeks cannot sleep. I am wide awake till bout 2 then when I do feel tired just cannot get to sleep.

Im dreading the start of school next week cause I will have to be up at 6:30.

yes i have been on them.
    i wont ask if you have something on your mind[8)]

you say you are tired but just cant sleep, sounds like you are over tired.
    ok try this, try staying awake all day and all night and then go to bed at a sensible time. then hopefully you can set yourself back into when you need to sleep and when you dont. you may be feeling worried because you arent sleeping, which means you wont sleep. its just typical really.
    sometimes when you are low and start to take tablets your body clocks goes all weird, you can feel tired when you dont want to be.

ok another weird suggestion (hope you dont mind me answering as im all new here) i find, dont laugh, that when i cant sleep i tend to think to much, you are lying there and your brain is on over drive, so play the alphabet game, think of a fruit veg, plant whatever subject you want and go through the alphabet A for apple, B for bannana, C for carrot etc, and in the end you nod off. because you are taking your mind off the fact that you cant sleep.
    you could try taking a warm bath with lavender before bedtime, dont eat or drink anything an hr before bed time (nothing worse than getting all settled and you then realise you need to pee)
    if you live where you can see trees from your window, look at them and see what shapes you can make, next minute you wil wake up and its morning.
    just a list of what i used to do, and still do when i cant sleep.
    hope they may help you.

xx stormy

Hi sleep disorders are very common with anxiety and depression.
    The medication you refer to is quite a good AD but it doesn't do anything to help with sleep (at least, it did nothing for me). I recommend you discuss this problem with your GP and he might give you an extra med or switch to an AD that does help with sleep (again, I found cyramil to be quite effective but...).

The tips about "sleep hygene" are sensible. They do help. Try googling / yahooing using sleep hygene as search words - there is a wealth of useful info out there.

Hope this is of some use to you,

Antipodes

Some meds can cause this. You have been on them for quite a while though could be that your body is still getting used to them. Wait a few more weeks and hopefully things will be better then..

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Thanks for the replies guys Im gonna try some ideas tonight x

I am also on Cipramil (Since April) I sleep very light and often lie awake listening to the radio from 2 - 4 I don't think with me it's the Meds I think I just have difficulty switching off my brain completely! I have stopped worrying about not sleeping wel,l as I believe that your body will sleep for however long it needs. Radio 4 (World Service) has some interesting debates, reports, radio soaps etc - sufficiently boring at times to send you off into the land of Nod. x

Hi Mandie, what time of day or night do you take your medication?

I used to take mine at night but it didn't work out so I take it in the morning now after breakfast and the sleeping is a lot better.
    Try and avoid caffeine after 4pm as well as otherwise it hangs around.

You could also get some oils to drop around your pillow to help relax you, I get something caled 'Sleep' and it's a lovely warm lavender smell which really helps me wind down.

Thread Information