Hi all,

I have to go into the day hospital to have some of the skin removed from my cervix after my smear tests came back as abnormal. Although the results are 'borderline' the virus test result was high risk.

I suffer terribly from panic attacks, panic disorder, agoraphobia and depression and am having a really tough time at present. The gynaecologist knows that I have mental health issues so has advised that I am knocked out. I would have preferred a local anaesthetic but it seems that he's not prepared to perform the procedure this way given my issues. The prospect of having to stay calm enough to receive a GA is about as impossible as it gets. I am in such a mess over this that I've retreated to my bedroom and am too frightened to come out. I am dreading the letter with the appointment date.

The anticipation is the worst thing. I cannot think of anything else. My already restricted life has stopped because of the fear. The more I worry about not being able to manage this the more I feel like a complete failure and it's drawing attention to how messed up I am. I just don't know how to cope and if I don't go the cells could develop into cancer. There is no relief in avoiding this one, but the thought of actually getting there, staying put and not becoming hysterical is leaving me distraught. Please please please, any suggestions on how to cope?