Thread: Does Anyone Else Have Anxiety With Depersonalization and DeRealiazation As A Symptom?

1. Does Anyone Else Have Anxiety With Depersonalization and DeRealiazation As A Symptom?

I am absolutely terrified. I don't feel real and the world doesn't feel real and I think I am going to loose it. My symptoms started about three weeks ago immediately following my first panic attack. Ever since then the world has just seemed so painted and I feel like I am in a dream world. i can't really even recognize myself in the mirror anymore and I can't concentrate at all anymore. I am absolutely terrified by the thought of feeling like this for the rest of my life and I don't know if I can honestly handle it. If anyone else has felt this way before, How long did it take you to feel real again? How did you keep your sanity?

I also think that part of it might be from growing up and trying to figure out the world and my teenage hormones raging...but i am not really sure.

If anyone else knows of anyway to get me back to my old self in no time please tell me because I really can't take this anymore and it's taking over my life.

Help.

Re: Does Anyone Else Have Anxiety With Depersonalization and DeRealiazation As A Symptom?

i feel like this breifly every once in a while. it happens more when i am bored. try to do things that keep you busy even if it feels like you dont want to do them.

Re: Does Anyone Else Have Anxiety With Depersonalization and DeRealiazation As A Symp

Hia hun yes it does get easiere you will be yourself again.my anxiety started from my fist panic attack. But panic attacks and anxiety are totally different, everyone experiences anxiewty to a certain level but if u have had a panic attack your so scared of having another one your anxiety levels are higher than normal.
    Did u say your p.a and anxiety started 3 weeks ago? Plus u mentioned teenage hormones, you will be fine your younge and you ll get over it.
    Panic attacks are the most horrible thing ever but won't harm or hurt you in anyway. If its from something stressful your gp will offer conciling except it, it may take 12 weeks or so to gset in but you can always reefuse it if your bk to yourself.
    Feeling like your in a dream and the worlds is painted is tipical anxiety it will go, just go with it, and not reconising your face yes we ve all been there, horrible I know.
    Hun if your new to this don't try to dwell on it, a pa last what 5 mins don't worrry the other 23 hr and 55 mins of the day about it.

4. Re: Does Anyone Else Have Anxiety With Depersonalization and DeRealiazation As A Symp

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola_lou View Post
    Hia hun yes it does get easiere you will be yourself again.my anxiety started from my fist panic attack. But panic attacks and anxiety are totally different, everyone experiences anxiewty to a certain level but if u have had a panic attack your so scared of having another one your anxiety levels are higher than normal.
    Did u say your p.a and anxiety started 3 weeks ago? Plus u mentioned teenage hormones, you will be fine your younge and you ll get over it.
    Panic attacks are the most horrible thing ever but won't harm or hurt you in anyway. If its from something stressful your gp will offer conciling except it, it may take 12 weeks or so to gset in but you can always reefuse it if your bk to yourself.
    Feeling like your in a dream and the worlds is painted is tipical anxiety it will go, just go with it, and not reconising your face yes we ve all been there, horrible I know.
    Hun if your new to this don't try to dwell on it, a pa last what 5 mins don't worrry the other 23 hr and 55 mins of the day about it.
    Yeah it all started about three weeks ago and I haven't felt sane ever since. I just really hope that it goes away within two weeks because i am going on vacation and I don't want to spoil it for everyone because i'll feel and nervous and awkward and have panic attacks infront of everyone and make a fool out of myself. It's just really hard right now...

Re: Does Anyone Else Have Anxiety With Depersonalization and DeRealiazation As A Symptom?

Yes, I had this a lot when my anxiety first started. It did lessen over time though. Distracting myself and talking to people made me feel more "real" again. It is horrible I know. You feel like you are losing it. However, you are young and I'm sure this will all pass very quickly. Please try and not dwell on the panic attack. If you can stop being so scared of it everything else will go away.

Hi hun

Dp/dr, can be very,very scary if we don't know what it is, hunny, this is another protection mode our mind puts us into, its there to protect us from anymore stresses and fears, BUT, if we don't understand it we unkowingly learn to fear this symptom, but, the more we fear the symptom the more it stays to try and protect us. There are other threads on the site about this symptom and a good explanation behind the boards which NIC has written.

I, like many, many other members on this great site find in very, very hard not to fear the way it makes us think and feel, its NOT easy learning NOT to fear this symptom.

I know when I was acute, I used to reapet to myself, "its my minds way of trying to protect me, it will not harm me, its ok, it will pass, I am at my strongest when it this mode" , then go on to distract myself as much as I could, it took awhile for me NOT to fear this, but it time IT DOES pass.

Hun, please try and learn to talk to yourself in a MORE positive reasuring way, your neative talking is keeping this symptom going, ohhh I know its dame hard hun, but YOUR NOT loosing it,

YOU are not going to spoil anyones vacation, please don't think this,

Please hun, learn all you can about panic, anxiety, it does help to know and understand how symptoms effect your mind and body and to know, YOU NOT ALONE.

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------

Re: Does Anyone Else Have Anxiety With Depersonalization and DeRealiazation As A Symp

hi im suffering derealisation mainly when i go out side the house like in the back garden and when i sometimes venture out to me things seem like look abit weird , slightly brighter an dstruggle with the traffic noices, even thought the traffic noises are starting to bother me less, i have had it in the past it will get better. i have started an antidpressant so im hoping its a matter of time for me and im sure it will be for you :O)

8. Re: Does Anyone Else Have Anxiety With Depersonalization and DeRealiazation As A Symptom?

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I am getting better slightly everyday, but at times it gets overwhelming and everyday is a challenge. I actually have an appointment with a therapist today, but I am not really sure how to explain my symptoms to my therapist without sounding like a lunatic.

UPDATE: I went to my therapist and she told me it wasn't depersonalization. She told me I was feeling this way because I bottle my emotions up on the inside, and that I am basically "numb". She told me that I just needed to sit down and let it out and I feel SO much better now after letting my emotions flow out of me. She also suggested writing my feelings down on paper, and believe it or not it actually does help. I actually feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I just really hope that the feeling doesn't come back.
    Last edited by Pinkpoison223; 13-06-09 at 03:43.

There we go hun, your vacation will be great even if u did feel nervous the distractions on vacation is the best you probably won't notice anything.
    Glad you benifited from ur therapist and no they don't think your loony cause they heard it all before. 3 weeks in and already seeing a therapist u be back yourself in no time just a little help releasing the extra emotional stress like we all have helps.
    Just remember positive thinking.

Thread Information