Thread: Thing I've learned about Coping with Panic Attacks

Thing I've learned about Coping with Panic Attacks

First I should say I'm not a doctor. I've had no medical training what-so-ever, except for extensive WebMD surfing. I think if anyone has a major concern they should see a doctor first, then when they are told they are having panic attacks or anxiety problems, that's where this information might come in handy. All I know is that I have had anxiety problems and panic attacks since I was nine, so for about 14 years now, and I'm a psychology student. I'm not a professional in anything except experience with these feelings and taking a few classes.

That said, I have found/heard/learned/read several things that have been great in helping me with my panic attacks and I think they should be passed along in case they can help anyone else. Panic attacks are one of the scariest things in the entire world, but these things have helped me realize I can have one and still reason my way through it.

It will not last. The body cannot stay in a heightened state of panic for long periods of time. This isn't really something you can control, but rest assured your body will not stay in that panic-stricken state. Eventually, it will calm down and go back to normal. It may take up to an hour for the panic attack to get a little better, but it will not last forever. It is only temporary.

You will not die. I always, always, always, feel like I am about to die when I'm having a panic attack. The good news is, though, that not a single person has ever died from a panic attack.

You are not going crazy or are about to go crazy. I've heard this is a very common feeling, though I haven't experienced it myself. I think we feel this way because we feel like we aren't in control of what our body is doing and don't understand what is happening and why. But again, it is a temporary state. It will not last and you are not going crazy. My dad always says, "Crazy people don't know they're crazy." If you think you're going crazy, you're probably not.

You are actually very safe. I know this sounds absurd, but it's true. During a panic attack you may feel like you are about to die or have a heart attack, but your body is actually trying to keep you safe and alive. Your brain has, for some out-of-context reason, decided you are in danger, so it sends out signals to your body that tell it to react as if you were. Your heart pounds to increase oxygen and blood flow should you need to run or fight, you may feel short of breath because you are breathing more heavily for the fight or flight your brain is preparing you for, you sweat because it increases grip and reduces heat loss. So while you may feel like you're dying, your body is actually doing everything in its power to keep you alive.

Do NOT count your heart's beats per minute during a panic attack! I am guilty of doing this, and let me say, it does not help. People read that their heart rate should be between 80-100 beats per minute. Then they check it when they're having a panic attack and it's higher than it should be and bam! they think they're having a heart attack. It is important to understand that 80-100 BPM is a normal RESTING heart rate, like when you're sitting and watching TV or reading. When you're having a panic attack, your body IS NOT in a state of rest even though you may be sitting still. It's preparing you for a fight, not enjoying an episode of The Office! Of course your beats per minute will be higher! When you're worried about your BPM being too high, consider this: the average 20 year old's heart can reach 200 BPM during exercise. And that's healthy. A 25 yr old's can be 195 BPM. It's really best to aviod checking your BPM because it will likely only frighten you more. If you're wondering about exercise heart rates, check here: http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4736
    Next time try to think, "I'm just getting a good workout," rather than, "I'm having a heart attack."

Ride it out, don't distract yourself. There are probably going to be people who disagree with me on this, but I think it is a very important thing to do. It's only natural to want to take your mind off the horrifying feeling that you're dying or going crazy. Instead, sit it out. Pay attention to what your body is doing. You already know it is a temporary state, so why not really get a feel for it, that way when it happens again you can recognize it for what it is. Your body is going to freak out in that moment whether you pay attention to it or not. Familiarize yourself with the feelings associated even though they are terrifying. Just stay as still and calm as you can and say, "Okay, this is what it feels like to have a panic attack." Your heart races, you feel like you can't breathe, you sweat, you get dizzy, nauseaous...just ride it out. When it passes, you will know you made it out alive and will be able to next time, too. Then, as time goes on, they become less frightening because you have forced yourself to become familiar with them and how they make you feel. Next time maybe you can go, "Oh, here we go again, another panic attack. Bring it on!" I have found doing this actually lessens the severity and duration of them.

So there are things I have learned that have truly helped me. I still have panic attacks sometimes, but keeping that stuff in mind makes them just a part of my life instead of letting them run my life. Panic attacks can be successfully coped with, believe me. If I can do it, ANYONE can. I hope maybe this helps some of you.
    Last edited by sd1017; 12-06-09 at 14:30.

Re: Thing I've learned about Coping with Panic Attacks

thanks for taking the time to share this with us. glad that you are recovering.

Veronica

Hi
    Some great advice and info there, thanks.
    For me I tend to talk to myself....tell myself that I'll be ok, sometimes talk through my breaths ie "ok Kitty, breath in and breath out you're having a panic attack and you'll be fine" I have even done this in public and don't care anymore if I get odd looks....not that I notice anyway! Very much in line with what you say about riding it out....I completely agree.
    I'm so used to my panic attacks now, so I really feel for people that are experiencing them for the first time. It's so scary....and you're right sd you do feel like you're going to die....horrid feeling to say the least.
    Kitty

Really helpful this thanks i need as much as i can get lol

What a comforting thread, and one that makes so much sense too.

Thank you.

ive tried it read loads of books on it and all of the books i read mention all those pointers and i still suffer with bad panic attacks!!

Great post, particularly, the 'riding it out', it's the only way to go - very difficult to do in practice but it's the start to recovery.

great stuff!!

Excellent advice, 'riding it out' is the ultimate aim, but if you can't do that, then distraction is a good alternative. Whatever gets you through and gives you the courage to go on. There is no 'right' way . Each to his own.

Thread Information