Thread: Medication is not a total cure - please read!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Medication is not a total cure - please read!

Every day I log on here there are more and more posts about medication and mainly Citalopram but others frequently come up in new posts too.

I am not sure how many people read the "medication" website page on the left but here are some extracts:

The medications may significantly ease symptoms and give you a well needed break from feeling so terrible each day but they will not cure you of all your problems or symptoms. Using medication can prove to you that the symptoms you are experiencing are indeed anxiety and not some other dreaded lurgy as many of these symptoms will lessen or disappear whilst you are on the medication.

If you go on medication but do nothing else constructive to help yourself, you may find the initial symptoms reoccurring once you stop the medication. If your issues are caused by something that may improve naturally over time like a bereavement then medication may be all you need to see you through a particularly difficult patch but medications are not a permanent solution to an established emotional problem.

Please please remember that medication will not cure you of panic and anxiety - it reduces the symptoms and makes life (sometimes) more tolerable but most if not all people suffer horrid side-effects whilst starting and stopping it.

I was forced on dothiepin and then Prozac 12 years ago and told there was no other way to get cured. I knew no better! I stopped them after a year and have not been on any for over 11 years. Docs prescribe it cos it is easy to give people a tablet and tell them to take it.

Of course there are ways : self-help, counselling, CBT but no-one told me that at the time.

Please do not assume this is a miracle cure and please if you do take it then do take other steps as well to get better. Do not rely on it fully cos it can let you down at times.

There is no miracle cure for panic/anxiety - it is a combination of many things and you have to work at each one.

We offer loads of advice on the website here if you take time to read it and more importantly ACT on it.

Medication has its purpose but be careful of depending on it for a miracle cure please.
    Last edited by venusbluejeans; 10-04-13 at 16:10.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information