Thread: Fear of Birds - Desperate

Fear of Birds - Desperate

Hi, I am a 34 year old guy. For as long as I can remember I have been terrified of birds. Any kind of bird from a sparrow to an Ostrich! Alive or dead (in fact, dead is even more terrifying). I have tried to hide this all of my life, but recently have been involved in situations where the fear is so much I have fainted. I hate going outside at anytime and even being indoors is a trial as I panic there may be a bird trapped indoors (it has happened once).

I know it's stupid and pathetic and that they can't harm me.

I'm not even sure why I am writing this, as the thought of seeking help fills me with dread. I know I will be asked to look at pictures of birds, or try and touch a toy one or even just talk about it and quite frankly it's too much to contemplate.

Re: Fear of Birds - Desperate

I wouldnt know where to start with the bird thing itself but talking about your problem here is the best way to start.

There will be someone online now or in the morning that will have been in the same situation and will have words of advice etc.

And at the end of the day a I would faint if I saw a spider, and so would many people, its just an animal like a bird, so your in the same boat as more people than you think

Thanks for that. It's weird because I want to get rid of this phobia, but the thought of facing it is just as terrifying as the real thing.

Of course, the logo on the top left of this page is suitably ironic!

Quote Originally Posted by davetaylor View Post
    Thanks for that. It's weird because I want to get rid of this phobia, but the thought of facing it is just as terrifying as the real thing.

Of course, the logo on the top left of this page is suitably ironic!
    Its ironic you say that even

I got a panic leaflet from my therapist and it has a huge lightning bolt on it, I nearly got struck as a kid and I get weak at the knees just seeing the picture

It just shows your not alone.

It might not be birds exactly but theres people here who wil be able to help for sure, we will get you back to normal before you know it

hi dave is it the actuall birds your afraid of or the flapping of the wings????
    Its more common than you think,most of my friends have this phobia.Alot of them say its the fear they will flap there wings towards there face. I know ive allowed people to hold my baby chicks to help them take the first steps and the gradually they have held my parrots,but i never let them fly around with people who have a fear

Dave, my advice to you is to phone a few therapists who do NLP or EFT and explain your situation, especially that youdont' want to see pictures of birds (BTW I'm emetophobic and nobody has every showed me pictures of vomit - I think that's just something they do on TV shows to drmaticise things up).

A good thereapist will lead you very gently and at your own pace. And remember - it's you who is paying them, so if they do or threaten to do anything you don't like, either tell them to stop or walk out.

There are even some therapists who will work over the phone, which may make you feel even more comfortable.

I think there are a lot of people who are scared of birds to some degree or other. My daughter in law is absolutely terrified of them, something I wasn't aware of when I went out and bought a parrot If she is coming to my house I have to make sure the bird is in his cage and that the door to the room is closed, she is that scared of them!

In some ways I can really understand why someone would be scared of birds. If a wild garden bird flew into my house and started flapping away madly like they do, well I think that would scare me a bit too.

I do think though that as this is a specific phobia it is something that can be treated and I think the suggestion of trying NLP or EFT is certainly worth looking into

Unhappy Re: Fear of Birds - Desperate

Hi Dave,

I have just joined no panic in the hope it can help. I also have a bird phobia, have had since I was small but don't know how it started. About 15 years ago I had 6 weeks cbt and was then able to look through windows at birds and look at little at kiddie's books. Before that I would run in front of cars etc to avoid. I was unable to have the next 6 weeks because couldn't get time off from work.
    I am 65 now and about to move from London to Plymouth. I have been waiting 2 years for a hospital referral for psychotherapy and now I am at the top of the list and ready for an assessment but due to moving have to start this all over again with new doctor etc. some doctors are sympathetic , some not.
    I would love to sit outside in a cafe having coffee, some places I would like to visit I won't in case there are birds. There are tube stations I won't get on because they are open and birds might get on the train. It really does spoil your life in certain ways and people don't understand. My mum and sister thought I was stupid and my sister , when on holiday through bread on the floor by the side of my table , I ran, she said don't be so stupid.

I have now bought the written recovery programme from no panic and the no panic book but I see that it is exposure therapy and I am frightened of that.

In the last year I have had NLP, hypnotherapy and past life regression, all people that are qualified but have given me a reduced rate. Don't really know if any helped although I can now write about it. Years back I couldn't even mention the word.

Maybe we could help each other, what are you doing for it?

Best wishes,

Ann Florence

Thread Information