Thread: Anxious about existence

Anxious about existence

I have suffered from anxiety and panic on and off over the lasy few years and have been up and down. In general I panic much less these days and have developed strategies to deal with these feelings before they take over my life.

Recently though my anxiety seems to be a low level anxiety about everything.....I suddenly feel as though I don't understand how I can exist. Thinking about the Earth being a rock in space orbiting the sun seems totally illogical and unreal - I 'know' that scientifically these things are all explained but it's like my brain can't comprehend it and so it worries me. It has hightened my fears of dying and made me feel scared of growing old. I've developed a fear of flying because it doesn't make sense to me that planes should be in the sky. I am terrifed of the nuclear testing in Korea and was almost crippled with fear when they turned on the haldodren collider thing and talked about the world ending with a black hole.

Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by the magnitude of life/earth/the universe and how crazy it seems?? Does anyone feel like they are living in a world that isn't real? I guess I am looking for reassurance that I am not the only one or honest opinions on whether I am totally crazy? I guess I am scared that I will lose my grip on reality.

Thanks in advance.
    Tx

Re: Anxious about existence

Quote Originally Posted by Tomimo View Post
    Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by the magnitude of life/earth/the universe and how crazy it seems?? Does anyone feel like they are living in a world that isn't real? I guess I am looking for reassurance that I am not the only one or honest opinions on whether I am totally crazy? I guess I am scared that I will lose my grip on reality.

Thanks in advance.
    Tx

I've started feeling the exact same. I find it quite difficult to explain but you did a good job of describing it. Like you, my anxiety seems to have calmed down but now I worry about all this life,death,why are we here stuff and it's really getting to me.

I don't think you're crazy at all because most people at some point in their lives will start to have similar thoughts.Perhaps they won't worry about it quite as much as we do but that's anxiety for you and not everyone suffers from it as badly as we all do. Try to use the strategies you have developed for dealing with your anxiety to help with you thoughts and if it gets too much for you perhaps cbt would be the way to go? (don't know much about it but from what I've heard I think it would be helpful)

I don't feel real anymore but just remember you are here,you exist and just take things day by day until these thoughts start to disappear. You've managed to control some of your anxiety so this is just the next step.

Feel free to pm me if you need to chat

Thanks for your reply. It is reassuring to know that I am not alone in feeling like this.

hopefully these thoughts will become less prominent as time passess (and will no doubt be replaced by something new ).

I havev heard a lot about CBT but never done anything about it......perhaps I should invest.

T x

I have similar feelings - I'm so glad to read that someone else thinks that way sometimes too - I remember thinking that we had no control of what happened to the planet and a distinct feeling of actually wanting to get off the planet!! How crazy is that!

Thanks Lateralus.........I have that same feeling a lot.....not sure where I'd go though!

T x

Thread Information