Thread: Amitriptyline

Amitriptyline

Hi can anybody help.. I have been on 45mg Mirtazapine for about 2 years now along with 30mg propanalol, seemed to getting on okay until a few weeks ago when my dad suddenly collapsed and ended up having a triple heart bypass etc, he came through okay and is now home. My anxiety levels have shot through the roof and so my GP has prescribed 25mg amitriptyline to take at night to help me sleep. Am very worried that one of the side effects seems to be fast heartbeat, the reason for this being that my heart seems to beat quite fast anyway.

I don't remember getting any side effects with the Mirtazapine when I started it only that it made me sleep which is what I needed at the time.

Has anybody had amitriptyline and if so, what were the side effects?

Thanks for your help.
    Banana

Re: Amitriptyline

Thanks for that, am really worried about the side effects re the racing heartbeat etc, I know it is quite a small dose but am really unsure whether or not to take it.

Anybody help?

Thanks
    Banana

The only side effects i noticed were constipation and dry mouth. I was only on 10mg though for pain relief.
    Did you voice your concern to the doctor? Perhaps have a word with him first.
    Best wishes
    x

Hello
    My doc has just prescribed me Amitriptyline as I have a pressure over my right eye and have generally been feeling down and tearfull and having depressing thoughts. I was scared it could have been temporal artritis and have asked for a blood test just in case.
    Can anyone please let me know how they get on with Amitriptyline - I have read the side effects - they look so scarey! I just want to feel happy and healthy again is Amitriptyline the way forward? I would love to hear from anyone who is taking this med. Thanks so much x

I took amitriptyline (10mg) for over 10 yrs.........I was having ectopic heartbeats (PVCs) for most of this time ........... i had trillions of heart tests to try and find the cause of the irregular beats........then i decided to look up amitrip and lo and behold they can cause PVCs........I weaned off them this year and dont have anymore beat probs !!!!!!!!

ive been on amitriptyline now for about 6 months, i suppose ive been lucky because i have not suffered 1 of the side effects at all. but the list of side effects was very scary!!! debs xx

Thread Information