Thread: swine flu at my hospital

swine flu at my hospital

I know this is selfish of me but I am soooooooooooo anxious - the hospital where i work has its first patient with swine flu, what a nightmare for everyone concerned.

My anxiety levels have gone off the scale today.......and they are high enough on a good day. I am sooooo terrfied of catching it, becoming really illl or throwing up with it (severe emetophobe). I have direct contact with patients across the hospital too

Sorry for being pathetic.........

Ellie
    xx

Re: swine flu at my hospital

It's understanable that you're concerned, but I would hope that your hospital has good levels of infection control so you should be OK.

XX

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie25 View Post
    I know this is selfish of me but I am soooooooooooo anxious - the hospital where i work has its first patient with swine flu, what a nightmare for everyone concerned.

My anxiety levels have gone off the scale today.......and they are high enough on a good day. I am sooooo terrfied of catching it, becoming really illl or throwing up with it (severe emetophobe). I have direct contact with patients across the hospital too

Sorry for being pathetic.........

Ellie
    xx
    Are you in contact with the patients?

more so with the staff treating them, but potentially, yes

Hi,
    Dont worry its not pathetic at all. I know we feel bad about someone being there with the illness but you have all the rights to be concerned of picking it up yourself.

I for one am really anxious about getting Swine Flu. I was ill abour 4 weeks ago with a cold and it was the worst cold I ever had. tbh for all I know I might have picked it becuase I couldnt watch TV or sit on the computer all week, Couldnt focus my eyes on anything, felt unbeleivably sick and had the worst pounding headaches all day. I never get symptoms like that with a cold.

Even went to the doctors with it and I have never been to the doctors with a cold before so something must have been wrong lol.

Hopefully your hospital is cleaner than mine, Hers a pic I snapped last night on my home from my weekly meeting for panic attacks at my hospital

http://i40.tinypic.com/2quox0w.jpg

The quailty is poor as I did it quickly for none of the staff to see me lol, But there was a big pool of this green slimy stuff leaking from a big medical waste bin and a dirty medical glove in the middle. Disgusting.

Just remember to wash your hands often and stay calm, Try to think of other thoughts if possible to take your mind off the possibility of picking it up. The risk of catching it from someone is slim the majority of people who have contracted it have been to Mexico. All the best

Hi Ellie ,do you know where the patient caught it?ie .have they been on holiday or did they catch it here? what part of the country do you live in? ..Surely the staff concernd would have to be under strict hygeine procedures,There werent any probs with the patient in Scotland so try not to make yourself worry too much. IFeel sorry for the staff at hospitals when these things occur.You do a grand job . Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie25 View Post
    more so with the staff treating them, but potentially, yes

Well don't worry, I nursed a whole ward full of patients with Salmonella in the seventies and I never caught it myself.

Saying that when I was doing my training in London a child on the infectious diseases ward pulled at my mask and her finger caught my lip..............I was off work for six months with dysentery and was very poorly.

You'll be OK.

I thought you might be interested in this

How dangerous is it?

So far, most cases of swine flu around the world appear to be mild, albeit with diarrhoea more common than it is with seasonal flu

The WHO says that many people who develop symptoms of infection have not needed drugs to make a full recovery

Flu expert Professor Peter Openshaw, of Imperial College London, says about one in every three people who become infected will not realise they have had swine flu because they will have had no or only very few symptoms.
    "About about 98% of people who get infected will recover fully without any hospital treatment so I think the public needs to be reassured."

FROM THE BBC NEWS SITE

Thread Information