Thread: Meditation

Meditation

Meditation really helps... I've had really bad episodes of anxiety recently and half an hour of meditation using a CD is fantastic. Even if at first the effect doesn't last forever, by trying to do it every day it helps to keep me calm.

I also find that when I'm really tired it actually boosts my energy so I'm going to try and do it when I get home from work so I have energy for the evening to do stuff around the house.

Has anyone used meditation long term? Did it help anyone else?

Re: Meditation

I try to meditate each day for a short time. I get better at it each time that I practice. When I meditated once or twice for around 45 minutes, I had amazing experiences. My visualization & sense of calm was increased dramatically & the results were longer lasting. Buddhists meditate for three hours at a time. imagine the serenity this would bring to anyone that cleared out their schedule and made that amount of time to spend on their well being. That would take a lot of patience & self control, like nothing I have ever experienced before.

I think a longer meditation would help me today, as I know if I make the effort my overwhelming feelings can melt away. It's not like there is anything wrong, other than feeling in knots.

I like to meditate at the beach listening to the waves crash, or in a park listening to the bird calls & feeling the gentle breeze on my face, but as I get better at it I can do it anywhere because I get better at blocking out distractions. I have been doing it for a couple or a few years. I lost track. The good thing about meditation is that I can picture that I am anywhere I want, doing anything I want. I especially like to imagine I am doing things I don't think I could do, or that I am afraid to do. It reminds me I am free to do anything I choose & it desensitizes me to my fears.

how exactly do you meditate? *silly question*

*edit* found this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0rSmxsVHPE meditation video x
    Last edited by Rachel_123; 26-06-09 at 16:18.

Meditation is basically about quietening the mind from the 'chatter'. One of the most popular ways of doing this is by focusing on the breathing. I like to focus on the difference in the temperature when I breath in, to when I breath out. Some people like to count their breaths - often counting to 10, then starting again at 0. Sometimes it is good to place your hands on your stomach or chest and feel the sensation of your breathing, just focusing on that. Another popular method is to imagine you are breathing in a positive healing energy, and breathing out negativity. You may wish to imagine the air you are breathing in is light and positive - maybe yellow or white in colour, and the air you breath out is black or grey. There are many ways!

Thread Information