Thread: Started propranolol on Monday

Started propranolol on Monday

Hi there,

I've been suffering with anxiety since the beginning of April and I finally plucked up the courage to go to see my GP a couple of weeks ago.

She prescribed me propranolol (10mg) - I am really wary of taking medication so I only started taking them on Monday. On the label is says to take 10mg, 3 times a day, but Monday and Tuesday I only had 2 and today I've taken 2 so far but I think I will have the 3 a day like it says from now on.

I can tell that they're calming me down but I feel so tired and 'zoned out' - I can definitely tell that my heart is slower (which I guess means they're doing their job!) and I'm not feeling as anxious as I have been...but I'm wondering how long it will take my body to get used to them? Or whether I will feel 'zoned out' all the time with them? I also don't seem to have an appetite and have quite a dry mouth. I have looked over the leaflet about the side effects but I am such a hypochondriac I tried not to read all of it otherwise I'll be convinced I'm having an allergic reaction to them! lol

Would be grateful for any advice,

thanks

quietqueen
    Last edited by quietqueen; 24-06-09 at 17:29.

Re: Started propranolol on Monday

Hi

I was on propranalol for about two years and can remember feeling a little tired and a bit fuzzy when I first started taking them but it wasn't long before my body got used to them. Give them a try for a couple of weeks and if things don't improve have a word with the doctor but I think you will find your body will adapt to them quite quickly. I think this was one of the few drugs that I was able to cope with, I'm not good with tablets but these were quite easy for me to take. You sound like me every time a take a tablet I read up on the leaflet them imagine I have a reaction.

Hope you get on well with them.

Carol

Quote Originally Posted by lorac View Post
    Hi

I was on propranalol for about two years and can remember feeling a little tired and a bit fuzzy when I first started taking them but it wasn't long before my body got used to them. Give them a try for a couple of weeks and if things don't improve have a word with the doctor but I think you will find your body will adapt to them quite quickly. I think this was one of the few drugs that I was able to cope with, I'm not good with tablets but these were quite easy for me to take. You sound like me every time a take a tablet I read up on the leaflet them imagine I have a reaction.

Hope you get on well with them.

Carol
    Thanks for your reply Carol. I have another quick question, if I'm supposed to take them three times a day - what sort of times should I take them? I'm rubbish! lol. So far today I took one at 9:30am, another at 3:30pm and then I'll probably take it about 9:30pm - so there's 6 hours in between each?

quietqueen

Hi There

I take 160mg of these tablets daily and have done for years, I take one morning and one around teatime, the times you have stated sound fine.
    Good Luck

I can take up to 120 mg a day, and have been taking them for about 15 years. when first prescribed it took me a year to pluck up the courage to take them,( dont like taking anything if i can help it,) but my symptoms were so distressing felt that i had to give them a try, so glad i did, i find them really useful, somedays i have just one 40mg tablet and if i am particularly stressed or when i am getting more symtoms, i can take more.
    My GP prescribed the slow realease ones at first, but i prefer to have a bit more control of taking them, so she changed them for me.. when i first started taking them, i think i felt a little odd and start stressing what they were doing to me ,but i am like that will every single med that i have to take, anyway it took a couple of weeks to settle down and be happy with taking them. i felt a little tired at first , but that soon wore off.
    i am so glad that i decided , even after such a long wait, to take them, they have life much more bearable.
    Also the times that you have suggested taking them sound fine.
    I wish you well

P X

Thread Information