Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going private for CBT. Any advice?

Going private for CBT. Any advice?

Hi all

Just a quick update for anyone who doesn't know my situation in full.....

I have suffered with panic/anxiety for over 12 years and I now have the panic attacks under control. I think the last time I had a panic attack is nearly 2 years ago. What I am left with is anxiety and in particular when driving. I can drive anywhere as long as there is a hard shoulder or somewhere to pull off and I absolutely hate road works and traffic jams. As for contra-flows :([:O]

Driving has always been an issue for me because I started having panic attacks in the car 12 years ago so it stopped being a safe place for me. Then I had a car accident which made it worse.

I have had the confidence to keep doing it over and over (JFDI) and I have not avoided them very often but I am just not comfortable in them and I hate every minute of it. I often call Meg in tears asking her to talk to me whilst I drive through them and then I come out shaking and feeling that I have failed cos it is not getting any easier for me.

So after that update, on to my question ....

I have talked to Meg about this and we think I need CBT again to try and help me change my thoughts and really believe and KNOW that I am fine in roadworks etc and nothing can harm me.

So, I have a doctor's appointment to discuss this in a couple of weeks time. The thing is that I know the NHS waiting list can be up to 18 months (if he even agrees to refer me atall) but I do have private medical insurance (well Alex does but I am named on the policy so I can use it).

The thing is that they will not take on existing conditions and I guess they could say that this is part of the anxiety I have had for years.

I guess they can't prove the driving has always been an issue and it did come back with avengence last year when I had to drive over the Severn Bridge so it is fairly recent that I have gotten worse.

I don't want to lie to anyone but does anyone have any experience of being referred to a private CBT therapist and will it go against me that I have it on my medical records as having suffered panic/anxiety for so long.

Did you manage to get it easily enough and did your medical background go against you?

Just want to prepare myself in advance so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Hi Nic,

I had CBT about 3/4 years ago when I first started having panic attacks and it was private. I had private medical insurance through my work at the time so it came in handy. I did get referred by my GP and because I hade the private insurance and I was given an appointment within a couple of weeks.

I am not sure how it works about a ongoing health issue though.... is there a helpline or something you can call with regards to the Health Insurance you have?

I am not sure if this helps you any.

sadie

Normally if you had the condition when the policy was taken out it is not covered. If it wasn't declared at the time you may get away with it if your gp says your problems are recent, and in some ways they are as they have got worse recently. Probably best to check with the insurance company or see what gp thinks.
    I have had private CBT but didn't need a gp referral as I had to pay for it, so I just phoned up and booked myself in.
    I know how awful the driving anxiety can be, I was never anxious driving until I was in a car crash last year. I've not avoided it since but it's hard. I'm ok driving the couple of miles to work and doing local journeys, motorways are the worst for me, even if my husband is driving I hate them now.
    Good luck with whatever you do,
    Lisa

Hi Nicola

I found my own CBT therapist at http://www.babcp.org.uk/ because my doc wouldnt refer me! I got an appt within 2 weeks and pay £70 a session. I think as they are independent it doesnt matter if you have an existing condition.

Hope this helps

Helen x

Coventry has to be the worst, I was put on the waiting list at least 2 years ago and still waiting (NHS) Had interview and first part which was psycho education, But they keep cancelling saying not enough turned up or someone is Ill at the time. There are lots of therapists at the centre they must have a good job with no patients.

I think any medical condition that existed when the policy was taken out is usually not covered but it would all depend on how your GP describes your current anxiety and whether he puts this down as a new condition, or as part of the panic and anxiety you originally had.

Maybe you could discuss this with your doctor when you go for the appointment in a couple of weeks.

The NHS mental health services are a joke here too. I got as far as being referred by my doctor, saw the psychiatrist, CMHT and crisis team and the psychiatrist agreed to refer me to a psychologist for CBT. However, the psychologist then refused the referral saying it was 'inappropriate' for her involvement whatever that means.

It seems to be you have to go private to get anywhere.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Hi Nic,

Have no advice but wish you lots of luck and will watch with interest how you progress.

Love Piglet xx

Hi Nic,

I was referred for CBT through my GP, to be told that the waiting list was almost 18 months. I have just recently started CBT with someone i found privately, but i am paying for each session.

tracy x x

Thanks all for the input.

I will have a chat with the doctor and explain that it could be seen as part of the anxiety but maybe he will still refer me on. I didn't really want to pay privately but may have to if I don't want to wait that long.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Hello,

I saw a psychologist for CBT privately last year (for mainly driving and travelling problems) and it was excellent.
    I had anxiety problems for years but BUPA were very good, the woman I spoke to even said ‘don’t call it a phobia just say it’s stress’

Give it a shot, the health company can only say no.
    Personally, even if I had to, I’d pay for it, getting yourself the best you can be is the most important thing.

Cheers

Richard,

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information