View Poll Results: What is your personal exp with CBT?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • I tried CBT in the past and it greatly helped

15 23.81%
  • I tried CBT in the past and consider myself "cured"

1 1.59%
  • I tried CBT in the past, but it didn't do much for me

9 14.29%
  • I am currently trying CBT and it is helping me a lot

11 17.46%
  • I am currently trying CBT and it isn't doing much for me

5 7.94%
  • I have never tried CBT, but I want to

20 31.75%
  • I have never tried CBT and have no interest in trying it

2 3.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CBT - Your personal exp

Re: CBT - Your personal exp

I've been getting quite a lot out of my sessions at home. I feel a lot more relaxed and comfortable in my home and the lady I'm seeing is really nice, she sees right through all my excuses and gives me the little nudge I need to get out the house. Today I met her in my jammies as I had awful period pains and a headache and had had an awful weekend. Today we spent most of the day discussing my reasons for not doing things and spotted (100% correctly) that I make a lot of excuses for not going out- for example I don't like doing shopping in store anyway as I spend too much and by the end of the session had me out of my jammies and out for a 3 minute walk. It wasn't fun but I did feel a little better for doing something when I had written off the day for various reasons so for me its so far so good.

I have had cbt and read many books(Mind over Mood is well worth the money) and webpages,and I feel without ALL of them I would not be where I am today,CBT is not in itself a cure but a way of learning to look differently at things,another tool in the bag. I don't think there is anything to loose by trying anything and just maybe something to gain. What I needed was tools to help me learn to cope with things/express myself/appreciate myself and life/not fear my thoughts and that is was I have gained, as well as doing things I never thought I would do,like flying to Eygpt for a week on my own ! New York for a weekend on my own! and riding a high ride at an attraction park!!..because of ALL the 'therapy' I have taken I am living a full and enjoyable life . So I say try it ,you have nothing to loose xx jan

Quote Originally Posted by Luci-loo View Post
    I've been getting quite a lot out of my sessions at home. I feel a lot more relaxed and comfortable in my home and the lady I'm seeing is really nice, she sees right through all my excuses and gives me the little nudge I need to get out the house. Today I met her in my jammies as I had awful period pains and a headache and had had an awful weekend. Today we spent most of the day discussing my reasons for not doing things and spotted (100% correctly) that I make a lot of excuses for not going out- for example I don't like doing shopping in store anyway as I spend too much and by the end of the session had me out of my jammies and out for a 3 minute walk. It wasn't fun but I did feel a little better for doing something when I had written off the day for various reasons so for me its so far so good.

WELL DONE Luci you should be very proud of yourself for achieving what you did xx jan

Quote Originally Posted by ridingthewaves View Post
    WELL DONE Luci you should be very proud of yourself for achieving what you did xx jan
    Thanks Jan, it's not exactly a bed of roses but comes to terms with the fact that I'm not going to get better on my own and I need to work at it. My appointment today got cancelled as my therapist was sick so I was a little lost as I had been working up to it all week but these things happen.

One thing I've noticed is I'm starting to make actual plans to do things and hoping I can use the sessions to help work up to them, I'd like to go to Edinburgh to see the Queen musical in November and Les Mis in April. My big big plan is to get back to college and work towards a place at uni- it makes me nervous even just thinking about it but it's nice to have something to work towards.

Luc..you are doing well,don't underestimate what you are doing,plans/ accepting the cancellation etc..IT IS HARD,I think it's been the hardest thing I've ever done ,emotionally draining,physically draining,..requiring my upmost concentration at all times and ofcourse there are many times when nothing works and I feel deflated,lost, BUT then I tell myself look how far you've come..and then at least I can find the balance. What is always good to remember is a) I am not alone with this and b) everyone has problems to face..thats a real leveller jan xx

Sadly CBT isn't available in my area. In sheer desperation I paid for it a few years back and had about 14 sessions. I have general anxiety which doesnt seem to be related to anything. Maybe my personality type. I found it extremely helpful and I felt positive in just actually doing something for myself.

The psychotherapist got me out volunteering and I did improve alot and managed to move house and get a part time job. nSadly I crashed last winter and have just gone back for another session.

I find it very empowering and even though I can't work & am mainly living off savings its well worth it.

Bubble

It took ages for me to get CBT through my GP but the wait was worth it. On my first session, I explained how bad I had been but that I was so much better I almost hadn't attended the session. My therapist suggested that perhaps I had got 'cute' at managing the problem by way of avoiding things / places which triggered. We spent some time looking at how much more restricted my life had become, and I was amazed that she was right. That first session really opened my eyes - I had been so thrilled not to be having panic attacks very often that I didn't even notice that I wasn't doing anything anymore (other than going to work, I was practically housebound - and scarier still, I was oblivious to it).

I asked for more sessions and had therapy right up until I moved area for my new job - around 3 months I think. It was tough going, especially the diary and some of the homework. Initially I got worse because I was exposing myself to triggers. I was staggered at the progress I made, and even managed a couple of nights out!

I still use the techniques when I feel anxious, but am gradually realising that it wasn't the cure I had hoped for. I am beginning to relapse a bit, but CBT has given me the tools to cope a little better. I ceertainly wouldn't rule out more sessions to pu tme back on track.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information