Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fear of getting sick?

I frequently panic over my health. I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome about 10 years ago and find myself feeling weak, tired etc.

If i get stressed and start to panic, this will immediately make me feel worse health wise because I am not as healthy as the 'average' person. Then I start to worry that I'm worrying that I'm going to make myself ill and the vicious circle starts all over again.

I find myself very depressed and I wish i could control my life more. I'm 19 years old now and feel like ive got the weight of the world on my shoulders.

So to those who panic about being ill, i understand, im frequently there. I'm trying hypnotherapy to help me and even acupuncture. I don't want to see my GP as he'll probably prescribe some tranqulisers or something. I've already been on anti-depressants for over 5 years and although hopelessly addicted, find them not much help.

heya, sorry i didnt get back earlier, a lot of people with emetaphobia (like me) and other phobias do have what are called "avoidance techniques" which i have help in exploring in CBT sessions. for example, i carry a bottle of water around with me and i stay away from crowds, spicy foods, can you think of any that you do?
    If you can then try doing so DIY CBT, take one of your avoidance methods and eliminate it or attempt to. Start with the easiest one and work up, its not as hard as you think!!
    Good luck, H x

H

Fear of Vomiting is called Emetophobia..i have it

Re: Fear of getting sick?

Hi. I too relate. The thought that I might be getting sick terrifies me. I can't stand being weak, tired, too hot, too cold, and generally unwell. I try to avoid sick people by holding my breath and getting as far away from them as I can and washing my hands. When I get sick it never stays as just a cold - I always end up on antibiotics or even in hospital. This has magnified my fear by a million. I just don't seem to be able to cope like other people can. It is incredibly depressing. I get called a hypochondriac and maybe I am, but it stems from a real fear.

Im so scared at the minute because everyone seems to be getting sick which means I definitely will. When I was hospitalised with pneumonia it started with me just feeling tired, so I hate that feeling too. I'm only 24 but I feel like my body is 64. Not good!! Don't know what to do...

ive always had the fear of vomiting in public.having people stare at me.....thats what stops me from eating sometimes.....

Hi. I'm 21yrs old and I've had this problem for years...I'm having a hard time lately because its flu season again so I'm constantly washing my hands and avoiding people as much as possible I have a huge fear of vomiting or having an upset stomach in public...and it's rouining my life including work lately at work I'm so naucious I can't speak I'm constantly sipping Gatorade and nothing is working I'm dizzy lightheaded and naucios all day everyday and idk what to do anymore and I'm afraid of losing my job...what's some ways everyone else's is dealing with this? And what about anxiety meds has anyone tried that yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzegoddess217 View Post
    Hi. I'm 21yrs old and I've had this problem for years...I'm having a hard time lately because its flu season again so I'm constantly washing my hands and avoiding people as much as possible I have a huge fear of vomiting or having an upset stomach in public...and it's rouining my life including work lately at work I'm so naucious I can't speak I'm constantly sipping Gatorade and nothing is working I'm dizzy lightheaded and naucios all day everyday and idk what to do anymore and I'm afraid of losing my job...what's some ways everyone else's is dealing with this? And what about anxiety meds has anyone tried that yet?
    I'm so sorry you feel so awful. I'm kind of in the same boat as you and I know how awful it feels. I've had a fear of vomiting on and off my whole life. I thought it had gone away, but then it came back about a year ago. It got so bad that it was interfering with my work. My biggest fear would be that I would vomit at work in front of everyone. I was hardly eating anything and was chewing gum like crazy. I overanalyzed every sensation in my stomach and throat. I ended up leaving my job almost 4 months ago and got on Sertraline. The medication isn't really helping so much. I need to talk to my dr about switching meds or increasing the dose. Anyway, I'm basically hoping the medication works out for me, but I'm also seeking out CBT therapy to overcome my negative thought patterns. I know exposure therapy works great for phobias and I would like to try that too.

Anyway, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm so sorry for both of us dealing with this. I fought it for almost a good year before I finally gave in and starting seeking help for my anxiety. Don't wait as long as I did. I hope you get the help you need.

Take care!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information