Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: medicine phobia

Re: medicine phobia

Hi

I have fibromyalgia & anxiety and i desperatly need medication to help the chronic pain & stiffness and to calm the nervous system down BUT i cant take the tablets

I am sensitive anyway to drugs and the littlest of dosages sets me off.

Now the circle has began, as soon as i take a tablet my anxiety hightens and causes panic as im sitting waiting to see what happens PLUS i cannot see through the side-effects before it gets better as the anxiety is too bad for me to control

I have a fear of not being in control so i feel the tablets take this from me

I had cbt which helped everything apart from this phobia so any advice would be welcomed ty xx

Boy! I sure do!! I used to not, but over a year ago I was prescribed some pseudophederine for a sinus infection and my heart went bonkers on it! Ever since then, I have been afraid to take ANYTHING. This is part of the reason I don't even take anti-depressants. I am afraid. Now I just had to take some antibiotics and I am watching the clock like a hawk wondering how long before I am in the clear for something really drastic to happen - it has been 30 minutes now. I am feeling a little panicky, but otherwise, I guess ok. I hate feeling like this. It really causes problems between myself and my doc -- only he doesn't know normally I don't take the meds he prescribes (I will take antibiotics -- but that is pushing me); and between hubby and me who gets upset and wonders why I waste my time at the doc's. I tell him I am not there for meds, I am there for reassurance. SO, I perfectly understand what you all are going through. I don't know how to get over this. It is quite debilitating. Hugs, Wiskers

"We can't solve problems using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Einstein

I was so pleased to stumble across this thread. I to am totally terrified of taking tablets - i was prescribed Citalopram last September and to date still haven't taken them. I had CBT for 3 months and did really well and was able to function almost normally other than being on my own and taking pills, i'm still unable to do both :(
    I've had a bit of a relapse recently and know i need to take the pills, i think now i'm more scared that i will induce panic/anxiety by taking them and i really dont want to do that - on the other hand, how much longer can i carry on in this circle of feeling good and then feeling horrible???
    I'm a strong person and by no means stupid, learning to think logically at times of heightened anxiety is so hard to do, i think thats another reason i don't want to take them..i know loads of people who have been prescribed Citalopram and had no side effects at all, so why am i worrying so much, oh, because i'll be the person with ALL the side effects lol, i'm not that special surely!!!
    So, i should just do it, it can't be any worse than the hell i'm living in just now *shrugs*

hi everyone
    i thought i was the only one with this problem, i had a bad time years ago with differeant antidepressants now im scared to take any sort of meds,. i take paracetamol when im in so much pain i cant cope, the doctors have just given me meds to take for my irritable bowels but im scared to take them cos i think they may make me dizzy or something, im also scared to dye my hair incase im allergic i am going to do tomorrow as my hubby is home then for the weekend incase anything happens, i know it sounds mad and stupid to others but i just cant help it.

Reading throught these posts - most of them i could have written - like you i have had really bad reactions from some of the meds given for anx and / or panic etc.
    I was wondering when peple have their Flu jab (not me ) they have to stay in the docs waiting room to see if there is any bad reaction.
    What is the time scale for a reaction to the meds they are trying to give us??
    ((I am not sure it would help me)) - but if they gave a person a small dose and said wait 1/2 hour - if there is no reaction you can take them without a problem. If there is a reaction the doc is there to calm you thro it. the doc will also see first hand the fear that these meds generate and the effect should there be one. He/ she would understand us better then.
    WE ARE NOT STUPID we know the horror, and fear is absolutely terrifying - it is almost instant when the doc says those words JUST TAKE THESE
    June

I never realised there was so many people with the same phobia as me, as when you try to tell doc they just look at you and say i could give it you in liquid form and then you have to explain its not that im just terrified of being allergic to them. Last time i managed to take some tabs for b.p i ended up in hospital for 24 hours thought it was my ticker but it wasnt so i thought it was just panic then my doc says to me perhaps you were allergic to the tabs we will take you off them. Thats it now the fear is worse than ever and now i am that scared that ill have to take some tabs again and the same thing will happen. But thanks for all your replies at least i know im not the only one
    denise

I'm afraid of anything mind altering. Had a bad experience with cannabis a year ago and ever since, I've been afraid of any kind of drug/herb that can make you feel different mentally or physically. I think I'll try it again eventually though so I can get over this fear. But I've said that for months now, still havent attempted it. Just the thought of being high makes me nervous. I think the only way to get over it is to just do it and sit through the panic until it subsides.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information