Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: medicine phobia

medicine phobia

hi
    has any one got a medication phobia. i suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and have this terrible fear of tablets. I mean i freak have panic attack and think that i will die just at the thought of taking them. Hence i have had 2 different types of antidepressants but just cant bring myself to take them but am coping without them. The trouble is i have to have this 24 blood pressure monitor on wednesday and im so freaked that they may have to give me tabs its putting my bp up. Oh i also iam scared to die my hair incase i have a reaction to it but have managed to do it 2 months ago but havnt had the guts to do it again yet. I have taught myself to take paracetomal now but can only take 1 never 2
    can anyone help with this please i feel stupid
    den68

Re: medicine phobia

Just to reassure you they do not give you any tablets when you have a 24 blood pressure monitor

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks
    ill try to keep calm then lol

hi im exactley the same as you i cant take any tabs with out going into a panick

I'm ok with painkillers, but have developed a phobia of taking antidepressants after a bad reaction to them,
    I also don't like antibiotics but after taking the first tablet i'm ok.
    i've also developed a phobia of hair dye! I keep thinking i'll have an allergic reaction,
    is there anything that would help?
    like having someone spend the night with you when you take the tablet?
    or would staying the night in the hospital after taking the tablet help?
    cause if you dont react to the first tablet you may feel better about taking the next one

I was cured of my phobia when I was admitted to hospital and they gave me all sorts.

I used to read the leaflets and freak etc etc and then when it came down to it and I HAD to have the drugs I was ok.

You can overcome it. I was the world's worst for taking drugs and now I just take them!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Me too and I had to have chemotherapy a few year ago, it was a nightmare those poor nurses were saints getting me through it, they almost had to chain me to the chair..... I am sure they have suffered from panic and anxiety after treating me......If your on this site, I'm sorry ladies. lol.

My Doc. knows my feelings and now when I take a new med, however innocent, I go and sit quietly in the waiting room and they come out and check me every now and again. You could even just sit in your car outside the hospital (have done that also) if you don't want to bother your Doc, isn't it awful !

I have a 10 minute rule now with tablets that I have taken before, will only panic for that length of time... then accept that I will be ok.

Hi I am also terrified of meds BUT i have low kidney functionand NEED meds for that also I suffer from vertigo and (gladly) take meds for that
    Now!!
    when the doc suggests meds for anxiety or panic..... i freak - I am absolutely terrified - they rarely even suggest them now.
    if i am suffering anx or panic i go and see them any one of 3 docs will see me the same day if i am feeling really bad.
    i suppose i can see the reason for taking meds when necessary BUT panic and anxiety have NO logical explanation.
    june

I have this fear also , i'm getting over it now. I took tablets when someone was with me usually my partner because i feel safe with him. If you were ok with hairdye last time , then you will be ok again, if your not sure put a little bit on your arm if you dont get a reaction then you 'll be fine. The same with tablets take half or a little bit of it if you dont get anything it'll be ok to take the other half, and if you don't get a reaction then its safe to take it again. This is vary common with anxiety sufferers , you are not alone x

Thanks to everyone who replied. At least i know im not the only one with the irrational fears. Ill try everything you said

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information