Thread: IBS - Doc thinks...my symptoms...

IBS - Doc thinks...my symptoms...

Hi,

A month or so ago doc diagnosed me with IBS. I had to do a stool smaple which came back ok. My symptoms were a few months earlier and started with just a bloated feeling at the top part of my stomach and not feeling hungary at all. I lost over a stone and went to see my doc about my problems with my lady bits. He sent me fro a scan on my ovaries which too came back fine.
    About a few weeks later i started getting really weird stools, light brown or orangy and thin or thinner than normal. My stools started to come out in lots of bits instead of the normal one piece i was used to. I also started to get a little bout of runny, mushy stools (sorry too much info, i know) also. At one point my stool was greeninsh! well i went to see the doc as i had to get my scan results too and mentioned to doc this problem i was having and she said it sounded like IBS. I have had anxiety in the past and have had a few major issues come up over the last yr or so. I had stool problems when i had really bad depression and used to go to the toilet all day when the "fight or flight" set in, but have never experienced any bowel problems since then and that was 10 yrs ago. I told doc my tummy was really gurgly and it always feels like it is hungry or needs to rumble. I was given Merbervine which hasn't really helped. I have really bad piles and fissures which keep bleeding as my stools literally feel like they are sometimes burning my anal area. When i eat i need to go to the toilet soon after and i get awful wind now. I was given a cream which numbs the anal area but can only be used for a very short term, but i have not tried this yet.
    Do these symptoms sound like IBS? I really have no break with my stomach. I get up in the morning, go to the toilet, have wind, wishy washy tummy all day and night, have a few bowel movements in between this. I feel sometimes that i have a stool just sitting in the bottom of my lower bowel because as soon as i hit the loo it's there!!! No more sitting and realxing and feeling relieved that it has come out i just feel no different.
    I really feel down. My mum has Proctitis(SP?) and now i can understand a little of how she feels. One night i was lying in bed and my hub the dog and i were all making noises from our bellies and we all had lose stools. I thought we all had a bug but it seems not. Hub suffers too with his stomach but never been to docs about it.
    I don't know really what to do to help myself, any ideas?
    Sorry to babble.

Wong.

Re: IBS - Doc thinks...my symptoms...

All classic symptoms of IBS. I have everything you mention there and more, except the green stools..lol...dunno what that's all about!
    Dont worry about it. Over the years as a long term on and off sufferer, I have found IBS disproportionately painful. One day it feels so bad, whole body aches and symptoms, you feel like you MUST be dying, the next, all symptoms just gone!

If you've been to the doc and they say IBS then thats what it is.
    PS the light brown orangey stuff is probably mucus or mixed with mucus..dont worry bout that. Blood, if you're like me, could be from straining, I know its REALLY hard to believe me when I say this but its best to just ignore your bowel's signals. With IBS, they lie so badly..lol.

Oh yeah and mebeverine didnt do squat for me either. Never tried anything else, but they reckon peppermint tablets are worth a go as it calms the spasms apparently - can't hurt

HTH!

Re: IBS - Doc thinks...my symptoms...

Sorry another thing I want to say - dont let it get you down. For me, and I think many others, the symptoms are VERY acute at first. I know I worried "how will I cope with this if it never goes away?"
    but even though it isnt curable, it does seem to calm down, or you learn how to handle it, or a combination of both. At first I really struggled with it, but nowadays it doesnt really affect my quality of life much. So keep positive!!

Thread Information