Thread: Fear of having schizophrenia anyone had it ?

Fear of having schizophrenia anyone had it ?

Has anyone worried obsessively about possible having this illness despite being told otherwise by an health professional several times.

Is it really true that people with it dont know they have it or is it just wishful thinking?

Re: Fear of having schizophrenia anyone had it ?

I studied psychology and now work in the mental health field. In the past 4 years I've worked closely with approx. 30 people with schizophrenia. Of the 30, 30 people did not know they had schizophrenia nor were they worried about having it prior to being diagnosed.

Even after diagnosis most people don't have insight and it takes the right medication and therapy before people understand that they have the illness. Even then, it's often a challenge to convince them of this.

If you are worried, ironically, you don't have it.
    PM me if you have any more questions!

I have 2 parts of me.
    My idealistic, inner child self who is wounded easily, is passionate about life & expression & is easily fooled. Gets sad & worried very easily

My Cynical self who is aggressive, an alcoholic, has the strength to go on when I feel i can't anymore. Is kind of numb.

I am developing a sense of self in time that brings these two selves into a middle ground as I get closer to well.

This is just something that I learned to cope. Schizophrenics have different coping techniques, they don't see the world the way others do. They live in a fantasy that is their mind. That is only my limited understanding after meeting 2 & a bit of reading. Anyone would tell those people they were out of it when suffering an episode.

A question: Would it really matter if you were a schitzo. (You aren't but...) They are still good people, they sometimes get in trouble is all! Trust me, you would be able to tell. People would tell you off all the time if you were a schitso. Probably just feeling a bit lost.....

im sorry to read about your fear but can relate to it on my fathers side of the family there is a history of schizophrenia and during the worst part of my illness i always feared i had it but i have not and now looking back there were big differences between me and my cousin when she was having episodes she didnt realise she was.

Thread Information