Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Emetophobia is taking over my life

Unhappy My Emetophobia is taking over my life

Hiya, I haven’t posted on here for a while coz ive had no internet but thank goodness its back! Anyway just wanted to post where others understand how I feel as I am feeling very isolated at present and am terrified I’m going to be ill every time I leave the house
    My Emetophobia has spiralled out of control over the past year to the point where I’m taking a daily cocktail of anti emetics, eating safe foods and now I’m becoming agoraphobic which is so frustrating as I can see what’s happening but can’t seem to overcome it or do anything about it.
    I was having hypnotherapy but at £135 per hr I couldn’t afford it and I was seeing my psychologist once every 8 weeks but she doesn’t seem to be able to help me as I wont take risks and put myself in uncomfortable situations.
    It’s just so annoying that I’m allowing this awful phobia to completely ruin my life and as well as beong on the verge of leaving my job as I cant face the daily commute anymore, my partner of 18mths broke up with me as they couldn’t take my constant anxiety which I understand why coz I am hard work as I constantly have to be in control of myself and any situation!!!
    Can anyone suggest anything to overcome constant anxiety?! I’m already wearing anti sickness bands
    And taking bachs rescue remedy plus listen to my hypno relaxation cd every nite but I cant seem to chill out!!!

Anyway thanks for reading!!l If anyone wants to chat feel free to message me!

Re: My Emetophobia is taking over my life

Hi Maeanna,
    I have anxiety and depression. I have been taking Zoloft for several years and I have been more emotional stable. Also, I had Neurofeedback. This has help me with my fear of driving, my depression, and feeling more relax, and strong. I had to stop because I was no able to afford it.
    Please remember that you are going to get better. You are not alone. You can e-mail me enytime.

Hi SOL, Thanks for your reply, i was proscribed Setraline which is the UK name for Zoloft but refused to take it coz of the possible side effect of nausea! its a no win situation! whats Neurofeedback? i have never heard of that!!! sounds good tho!
    Its really annoying that alot of these therapies are so totally expensive and that in England unless you go private and pay theres such a long wait for NHS treatment and you have to see a pyschiatrist before you can be referred for a therapy treatment. (

hiya hunni im same only iv got so bad i took an overdoes of anti sickness pills
    i cut my self and i heard voices constantly
    i managed to pull my self together with it been summer but now i feel worse
    im in my own world again i cant even be round my children i panic they have a bug or somthing
    i eat safe foods also but iv started eating out alot which i no i shouldnt because once iv eaten the food i think im going to be ill
    so i count 3 days and then im fine for about a few hours then im back to my worrying way
    im see'ing a cbt but iv only had two sessions so so far no good
    but im taking kalms there herbal
    i take ibs pills anti sickness pills and painkillers iv got to the point where i think tablets will help
    so im hooked
    iv got a very surporting partner and family and there great
    but also i feel i push them away
    we will get there in the end but the thought of how long is this guna take to be me again

I used to have this, I would be terrified of being sick and retch in the car. It's the only time I've had a panic attack when I got into town and felt over exposed when I left the bus station.

I didn't want it to take over me so by sheer force of will I'd tell myself 'NO, I'm not ill, I'm NOT going to be sick' it was a kind of chastising or command and I didn't let it get the better of me but it tried, usually in the car, at the destination I'd go straight to the toilets and when I got home I would cry.

My family didn't have time for it, my dad would give me this reproachful look and say I need to see a psychologist. He acted so put out at taking me anywhere that I felt I was a useless burden, I couldn't enjoy myself when I got anywhere so I chose the first thing whether I liked it or not.

I realised that I was just scared of open spaces, being in the bathroom anywhere was safe, I was okay as long as there was a boxy little room I could be sick in if need be (of course I never was actually sick).

I've had food poisoning recently and if you get it you realise it's not the being sick that is the issue-it's the FEAR of being sick, obviously it's a phobia so you probably already know that but I think food poisoning is the worst vomiting you can have and there was a time I would honestly rather die than be sick, life didn't seem worth it if sickness was an inevitable part of human life.

I've also had tummy bugs but they are not as bad. It's the nauseous feeling and the fear not the action of vomiting don't you think? And if you're only bothered about being sick in public then it's a form of social anxiety.

Smile Re: My Emetophobia is taking over my life

I agree its the feeling sick thats the worse. The trouble is that you panic when you feel sick, the panic makes you feel more sick and its a vicious circle. I have got a lot better since having my son as I have to deal with it when he is ill. I actually watched him vomit into a bowl a couple of weeks ago whereas before I would have literally run away. I was really proud of myself. I still wash my hands before touching any food, panic if people have stomach bugs and check sell by dates etc. The thing is to take small steps at a time and try not to be hard on yourself. Good luck.

Hey guys Thanks so much for ur replies,
    Im happy today coz i went 3 stops on a bus (with my eyes closed and mp3 player and a friend!!) BUT i did it!!!!
    i agree its the fear of being sick (and for me, other people too) and if i could lose the anxiety id feel fine!!! Kerrigan- i feel safe in my bathroom but noone elses! i think its the thought of what people would think of me if i was sick infront of them so basically yep social anxiety prob bcoz i think its so disgusting i imagine eveyone thinks the same and would all be ill too!!!
    Ive also had salmonella and it was the worst 24 hours of my life! how i survived it i dont know.
    I also work with babies as am okay with kids under 2 being ill but not over 2!!! and am constantly washing my hands!!! and i dont eat at work either.
    Its so interesting hearing from other emetophobes coz everyone is so different. I just wish the GPs would start recognising Emetophobia and be able to offer more CBT and alternative therapies on NHS!
    Anyway Thank u so much for ur replies i really appreciate them and its nice to chat to people who understand!

Hi, i also have emetophobia and GAD. I took it upon myself to finally get to the doctor and discuss anti-depressants. I was also VERY concerned with side effects. They put me on lexapro. I started on 2.5 mg, then 5mg, now im on 7.5. and in 2 days i go up to 10, i am happy to report i have had absoluley no side effects. No nausea at all. and i feel SOOO much better i cant even describe. Its only been a month on them for me, and even further rsults come with time. Im so happy i took the plunge and took this drug, i feel like its going to save me.

Hey icicledreamz, Im glad lexapro is working for u, unfortunately i tried a UK version of it (Citralopram) but had to stop taking it as it made me very hyperactive and unable to sleep at all! so im back to square one! im gonna try some alternative therapies i think like gettin a regular aromatherapy massage to help me relax and start taking vitamin B6 cand other minerals coz theyre suppose to work! Hope u continue to feel better!

hello all, i just came accross these posts and was wondring if you could tell me what this "Emetophobia" is as i havent heard of it. if its fear of leaving the house then i get this also and its horrible, one of u spoke about scard of going near your children because of bugs? i get really paranoid about this stuff also and fnd myself avoiding certian friends who always seem to have one thing or another!! my doctor is rubbish and im currently trying to change as enough is enough for me. anxiety,panick attacks, scared of leaving the house,social events even with my chhildren,fear of foods as i suffer alot with my stomach!! what a nightmare!! also, does anyone know if you can go in the hospital and ask to speak to someone,or does doc have to refer? im fed up being palmed off with tablets that im too afraid to take!! thankyou carli xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information