Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I the only one who is virtually housebound?

Re: Am I the only one who is virtually housebound?

hi spaced, and elspeth

nice to hear of someone thats conquered this terrible illness.
    i have 3 older children but also have a boy of 12 who hasnt been out with his mum for over 3 yrs, would love to know how youve conquered this, so i could take him to the seaside etc for the day.
    my anxiety seems to be worse middle of month around 12-14 days.

denise xx

At least you can get to the shops, i can't!

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

I am the same, i'm limited to a very small outside space. My local shop but i even have to do that in stages. The hardest part is when i can no longer see my house. That is when i need to stop and gain some control before carrying on with the other part of the walk. It literaly is only about a five minute walk from my house (if that) and it is a huge struggle.

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by bottleblond View Post
    I am the same, i'm limited to a very small outside space. My local shop but i even have to do that in stages. The hardest part is when i can no longer see my house. That is when i need to stop and gain some control before carrying on with the other part of the walk. It literaly is only about a five minute walk from my house (if that) and it is a huge struggle.

Lisa
    Lisa I am like that, as soon as I can't see my house I start to get anxious. My local shops are only about a 3 minute walk but they are around the corner and the road they are on is very busy. I am okay going there with my partner, but on my own, well I only go when I am feeling confident that I can get there and back!

Exact same as me Lyn, the minute i get to that corner and the house is out of view, that's when i start to get anxious. That final stretch is a nightmare but i manage is most of the time. It's bloomin horrible considering i used to be able to walk for miles!!

Love Lisa
    xxx

Thanks for your replies.

Belle - I'm sorry you can't get to the shops, but you didn't have to answer like that, did you? I asked a question, I didn't make a statement, this isn't a competition about who is the worse off!!

Bumble - I'm so sorry you haven't left your house for 2 years.

There was also someone else (can't remember the name sorry) who said that I do more than them. Again this isn't some sort of backward competition & I feel that I have been misunderstood with my question.

Deepest blue - I too live alone & yes I have to go to local shops for food etc, although last week I felt so bad I tried to shop online at Tesco, that didn't work (I did a post on it), but you go to work. I used to work until 4 years ago, I didn't go out socially, all I did was go to work & come home, stayed in every night & weekend, but I wouldn't have classed myself as agoraphobic then.

Thanks again for all the replies, I'm going to close the thread because I feel that I have been slightly misunderstood by some. My anxiety is sky high & I don't want to feel any worse, neither do I want anyone to feel worse!!

I try my hardest to help others, as I've had this damn anxiety for 34 years. I have this site open about 10 hours a day & especially early hours of the morning when I know that people living alone can feel at their worst & I try to reassure them that they will be ok, even when I'm feeling so bad too. I suppose I'm being over sensitive because I'm so friggin anxious but I feel like maybe I should leave for a while, maybe I spend too much time on here!!

Els

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information