Thread: How do you medatate?

Peru83 is offline Intermediate Member

How do you medatate?

I have noticed that a few peeps on here have said to medatate, well how do you medatate? is it about clearing your mind? cause if so I'm stuffed from the off, lol. seriously though I would like to know so that I can try it.

Take carexx

Claire

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

Hi Jammie, Type it up on yahoo and there will be lots of info on it. From OCD Girl [8D]

"The truth is out there" Frank Gallagher, Shameless

Claire

This was one of the beast and clearest that I found when I needed it

http://www.meditationsociety.com/index.html

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Thanx meg , I've added that page to my favourites and will read that later when I have peace and quiet to take it on.

Take Carexx

Claire

I haven't looked at the site Meg suggested yet, but I'm going to have a look out of interest. I'll give you a few basic guidelines though.

Meditation is a really simple process. It's basically sitting quietly.

You've probably got some idea in your mind of a monk sitting cross legged repeating the sound 'Ohhmmmmm'.

Well, that isn't far from the truth.

As you sit, take a few deep breaths, then you can begin. There's a number of different types of meditation. The example with the monk above, is meditating with the use of a mantra.

A mantra can be any sound you choose. 'ohm' is a very natural sound as the breath is released. Although there's many variations. Some traditional mantras are:

Ah-nam
    Shi-rim
    Ra-mah

Although you can basically do what you want with this. Use any word you want, but try to find one with a relaxing sound, such as:

Calm

Breath in.
    Breath out 'Calmmmmm'.

And don't worry, you don't need to say it out loud either. Although it may help when you begin.

All this is, is an exercise in concentration, very much like distraction techniques used with anxiety. As you concentrate and become focused on the mantra you're becoming less attached to the thoughts that are swirling round your head. This has the effect of quieting down the mind, you become more relaxed, and you begin to think more rationally.

You don't need a mantra either.

One of the most common meditation techniques is to just sit and focus on the breath. This produces a very similar effect, and again, is simply an exercise in concentration. Although at first, you may find it easier with a mantra.

Basically, that's it.

However, you may sit down and realise that the practice is not as simple as the theory.

Firstly, you're going to be wondering how you're going to sit. Well, if like most people you can't manage the lotus position, that's fine. You can sit in a chair, just make sure you're relaxed. If you really want, you can lie down.

As a general rule, the more alert your posture (the lotus is a very alert posture) the more alert the mind. You're much more likely to fall asleep if you're lying down. Although, either way, it'll relax you.

Secondly, if you get restless like me, it's going to be hard work. The desire to sit and fidget, get up, switch on the tv, light up a ciggy, plan out your whole week in your mind, etc, is immense. But if you can push through that barrier you will become relaxed and you will begin to forget all of that stuff.

So, you're sitting there, you're not doing too bad, but thoughts keep popping up. You begin to think you're not doing it properly, or that you just can't do it. This is the same for everyone, this is the reason we do it in the first place.

When a thought comes up, just acknowledge it, then go back to the mantra/breath. You don't need to get angry or frustrated, it's all part and parcel of the practice. However, if you do get angry or frustrated, just acknowledge that too, notice that it's there, then go back to the mantra/breath. It's as simple as that (in theory. No doubt you will get frustrated, but don't worry about it, it's normal).

When you first start, 10 minutes is sufficient. You can then maybe work your way up to 20 minutes over time. Although if your anxiety is high, you may feel you get nowhere in that time and may need a little longer to relax.

Try to avoid caffeine/nicotine/etc beforehand.

Oh, and if you do keep it up, it becomes easier over time.

mico

'Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding Danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.'

Thank you mico, I will try that.

Take Carexx

Claire

Nice one Mico - that made it really easy to understand.

Love Pig x

One of the best things to get you started, is guided meditation. If you can pick up a decent CD from somewhere, that's ideal. Sometimes it's really hard to get motivated, but guided meditation can give you a pretty good introductory experience, it's easier to follow along with instructions. I started off with one from Patricia Carrington, Learn to Meditate Kit or something like that which included tapes.

mico

'Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding Danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.'

I read a website about meditation and the best thing to do is shut your mind away and relax. Sit on a chair or lay down.

x X xJade Loves Mike 4Eva x X x

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I read a website about meditation and the best thing to do is shut your mind away and relax. Sit on a chair or lay down.

<div align="right">Originally posted by Scooter Girl - 23 September 2005 : 18:12:18</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    That's pretty much it.

mico

Thread Information