Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ADVICE

ADVICE

I need some advice.
    Hi i'm Andy (19yo) and about a month ago i suffered an anxiety attack and since then i have been to my doctor who prescribed me CITAPROLAM. I have been on a daily dose of 20mg of citaprolam for about a month. Although i have not suffered another anxiety attack i have come close. Throughout the day i'm constantly struggling to breathe and i feel light (sometimes i worry that i might be dying) i am also always twitching and trotting around. I feel like i'm hollow and i'm constantly gulping and forcing myself to yawn. I occasionally feel slighty faint or dizzy.
    In the last three years i have been on a downward slope. I left school and ended a lifelong friendship, my parents had relationship problems and i am out of work and trying to claim income support. I need advice and i would be ever so grateful. I have never felt this bad before and i'm beginning to drink too much. My dad thinks i'm a work-shy wimp and my mum is also on anti-depressants (SERTRALINE). I just want to be FREE. Please help.

I would also like to know if it is safe to take PROPANOL along with Citaprolam. I feel numb and can't sleep much. I hope i'm not like this forever.

Hi Underkill

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are having a bad time at the moment but no matter how bleak things feel you do not have to stay like this forever.

It seems like the Citalopram is starting to help a little and it does take about 4-6 weeks to notice the true benefits of medication like this. You can take Propranolol at the same time and this is usually prescribed to help control a racing heart rate.

Have a read of the First Steps article which will give you an idea of how to start working through this.

The 7/11 breathing technique is very helpful for bringing down anxiety and for hyperventilation. It is simple to do this - you breathe in for a count of 7 and out for a count of 11. The number you count to is not important, just find what is comfortable for you. The important point is to make sure the out breath is longer than the in breath.

Some regular daily relaxation, using either relaxation CDs, or doing something like yoga or meditation would also help.

I am sure your Dad doesn't mean to be hurtful with his comments. People who have not experienced anxiety and/or depression issues find it difficult to understand what it is like.

Apart from the medication, are you currently receiving any other help? Seeing a therapist could also be helpful for you.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Underkill,

Do try not to let the alcohol intake increase too much. It just being additional problems

Yes you can take propanolol with an SSRI like citalopram.

You won't be like this forever , this is the acute phase.

Some vigourous exersise will help with the twitchiness.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the site - we are here to help you and know all too well how bad we feel, which is not helped my unsympathetic family members.

Take comfort in the fact that this is down to their lack of understanding in how we feel, rather than anything else. Its a very common problem we all face.

Cheers,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi Andy

WELCOME TO THE SITE

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Welcome to the site Andy.

Hi Andy,
    Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of great advice here, and make some good friends. People who have never suffered with anxiety find it hard to understand how we feel inside. Maybe if you tried to get your dad to read up on the anxiety and panic issues he would understand a bit more.
    Take care
    Trac xx

its "just a thought"

Hi Andy

Just to say a big welcome to the site.

There are lots of friendly people hear to support you.

Good Luck

Elaine

Hi I too have felt like life couldnt be any worse but never believed it could get better, but it did (several times!!!!!!!)

This is an accute period for you, but you will start to see the light at the end of the tunnel with the right support and this site is a very good place to find that.

Good luck with your journey and welcome aboard x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information