Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to CURE yourself ! The definitive guide here..

Yay to Ambience for taking the time to post all of those tips!! Thank you very much!!!
    Those are EXCELLENT nuggets of advice Ambience, Mico and Nigel!!! Thank you for sharing those! I will print that out and study when I'm not so sleepy.
    I just want to interject for those people who might be reading this who are really at their wits end. There are some of us for whom the panic has so consumed our living that we can't even sleep because of the panic that jolts you out of your dreams. When you are so panicked that you cannot function and you can barely sit still to read a post, please do not feel like you are to blame for the horrific state you are in!! Yes, I agree we are responsible for our thoughts and emotions, but who in the heck would ask for the hellish nightmare our minds and bodies send us through when a panic attack takes place?!? If you are in an intensive state of panic, I suggest that learning to change your thinking takes time. Dealing with your thought patterns should take place during those times when you are NOT in a panicky state. That is very important to note! Take advantage of the times you aren't panicking to learn new thinking skills and relaxation techniques. And if you are unable to function because your panic episodes seem to run on and on and overlap and you can't even sleep at night, I suggest medication. I am so proud of all of you here that do not use medication and have not wanted to. BUT... if your very life is at stake and/or you have children to take care of, get medication to help you take the edge off and settle you down. Then, while you are having a break due to the medication, work on the skills you'll need for after you get weaned off the medication (WITH a physician's help!!)
    I personally was one of those people who knew about positive thinking and making choices about how I think and feel before the panic ever reared it's evil head. But even though I knew how to do this, several life traumas smacked me in my head all at once and threw me for a loop with barely enough time to catch my breath. All that I knew quickly went out the window, because I became overwhelmed. That's when you know you need good therapy and/or medication.

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

Wonderful thread.

I recommend the count to 10 to have a chance to quickly think through all options before deciding how to respond, virtually always you downgrade your response reaction if you insist on a bit of thought space.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

[Wow!] alot of great replys.

I just would like to add one thought.

The belief that it is possible to get better, without this belief you undermine everything you have learnt.

Many thanks all

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

Believe it can be done.
    When you believe something can be done,
    really believe, your mind will find the ways to do it.
    Believing a solution paves the way to solution.

A brilliant thread which basically hi-lights all of Claire Weekes' beliefs! I'm working on this 'treatment' now and plan to be anxiety free in the near future. I will not let it beat me. Its not easy and thats a fact but I can see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Every time I feel that I am focusing too much on my 'churning tummy' or my 'fast heartbeat' I go and read the book again which restores confidence in myself. I have MTV blairing at the moment which is working wonders and TODAY WILL BE A GOOD DAY!!!!

Good luck everyone! I KNOW I CAN DO IT AND SO CAN YOU!!

Wow guys,

I really enjoyed reading on about this, funny how some posts just seem to click in an unexpected way.

Trev and Nigel thank you so much for trying to put yourselves where I am and help me with my thinking etc. You both really have!!! Yes Trev I wholeheartedly agree with the exercise and my little trampoline and I are so the best of friends (building up on it all the time which is making me walk much much faster and less like a little old lady).

Nigel there were bits in your post that really made me chuckle!! I will take alot from what you said:

1. At this point in time don't analyse why I got the panicky feelings and just deal with the fact I have. Yes I got the scary feeling but don't remember quite how but that doesn't overly matter just at present.

2. Accept that I am going to feel like this when I'm out and it matters no more outside than inside (thanks Mico, Nigel & Trev).

3. Don't fight it or run from it - just pause for ten seconds to let the feeling wash over and go (does anyone else get a nice feeling of calm after the initial panic goes). Thanks Meg and Trac.

4. Try and work on self-belief - even if I get panic attacks for the rest of my life in public don't equate that with a negative personality trait and if that is part of who I am then so be it. That's a hard one as if you have a physical complaint no-one ties that in with your personality do they but somehow this seems to wander over into who you are. I may need continued reassurance on this one for awhile. I get cross with myself over this as I would never judge a person based on if they get panic attacks - I have a few aquaintences that do panic and I don't think of them any differently than I did before.

I also think In1peace and Jill had some very valid points to make.

Tell you what I did do this morning though, I had to post some things through the houses in our road which is quite a long road and I was going to wait for one of the kids to do it with me after dark (the agoraphobics favourite time) as I feel comfortable in that circumstance. Instead I have just done it on my own and in daylight. I got halfway up the road and yes the panic came, I was going to turn heel and run for home but instead paused, it passed and I continued on my way and finished what I set out to do.

I can't tell you what a help these types of conversations are with normal everyday folk. If I'd found this site 6 years ago I probably could have nipped this in the bud.

Big hug

Love Piglet xx[Wow!][8D][8D][8D][8D]

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
    Tell you what I did do this morning though, I had to post some things through the houses in our road which is quite a long road and I was going to wait for one of the kids to do it with me after dark (the agoraphobics favourite time) as I feel comfortable in that circumstance. Instead I have just done it on my own and in daylight. I got halfway up the road and yes the panic came, I was going to turn heel and run for home but instead paused, it passed and I continued on my way and finished what I set out to do.

Love Piglet xx[Wow!][8D][8D][8D][8D]

</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    That is brilliant news Piglet! May you get stronger day after day! WELL DONE YOU!!!!

Wonderful post Ambiance.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful fab imput.

I think Acceptance, perserverance, reassurance positive thinking and telling yourself it's ok to feel anxious just try to keep it under control and at a low level.

Good Luck everyone,

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

Hi Piglet

Some good replies to your question already which I completely agree with. I thought I'd add another example though, just elaborating on what has already been said.

And yes, this is another golden nugget of Claire Weekes's wisdom (sorry, she's not paying me to do this, honest ).

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
    Now how do I take it PUBLIC when I am so scared of having a panic attack and being embarassed in front of other people and them thinking I'm looney (I can see I obviously have a major hang up here of what other people think of me and yet I don't want to be like that and tell my kids that they can't please all of the people all of the time).
    <div align="right">Originally posted by Piglet - 18 September 2005 : 21:04:55</div id="right">
    You may or may not recall reading this, but it's an example that makes perfect sense and is easy to relate to fgor a lot of people.

Imagine you have a problem with shaking. It's embarressing, right? No doubt this happens very little when you're in the house (which is where it relates to your problem), but when you go out and begin to speak to people, that's it, you're off, hands are going twenty to the dozen. Picture the moment; you're sitting in a cafe, trying to drink a cup of tea, you pick up the cup and you're visibly shaking. Tea is spilling from the sides of the cup, you go to put it back down and it's shaking off the saucer, clunk, clink, clinkety, clunk, non stop. By which time your face is startting to go red and you begin to shake more.

So, you try to pick up the cup with both hands, you shake less this way. But, you're still shaking. You can barely aim for your mouth, never mind get a sip of tea, and when you do, it dribbles down your chin.

All this time, you're fighting the shaking. You want it to stop so badly, it's making you look like a fool. Furthermore, the very idea that it's making you look a fool is causing you to shake more. It's a never ending cycle. If you continue to fight, then you're going to be shaking for a while yet.

What's the alternative?

The bottom line, is that you're going to shake whether you like it or not. You've got two choices. You can accept that you're going to shake, or you can fight it.

There's a certain subtley in this, that your mind thinks if you fight it, or try to hide it, then you'll get away with it. You can cover up all your vulnerabilities and no one will notice. The truth is, you'll have a very difficult task in trying to hide it, and if you try to, then you will just continue to shake more.

The key, is to let yourself open up to this vulnerability a little, no one will think any less of you. In fact, by doing this, people will most likely respect you more (you're going to shake regardless).

Let yourself shake.

When you let yourself shake, it becomes less of a concern. You can accept it, and it doesn't have to be a negative thing. You're shaking, so what. Pick up that cup, and let it shake. It'll soon stop. But stopping the shaking is not your goal, as soon as that is in your mind you're back to trying to control it. If it doesn't stop, then let yourself shake somemore, it's not like people never shake, people shake all the time. But by letting yourself shake you're no longer fueling the fire, it'll eventually burn out.

I think vulnerability can be a large factor in this. You really have to cross that line a little and open yourself up. We try to hide our vulnerabilities all the time, it's an evolutionary trait handed down from our caveman days. You will feel some kind of attachment to this will to hide your vulnerabilities, hide your weaknesses from predators. Letting yourself shake, is letting yourself be vulnerable, and in this sense you may be very relucatant to do it, but

Hi Piglet,
    Well done hun im proud of you, see by not letting it bully you it gets fed up and goes away. And i cant relate the feeling of calm after the panic rises, that happens to me too. Keep on posting those brochures hun, your doing well.
    Take care
    Trac xx

its "just a thought"

The key, is to let yourself open up to this vulnerability a little, no one will think any less of you. In fact, by doing this, people will most likely respect you more (you're going to shake regardless).

I think vulnerability can be a large factor in this. You really have to cross that line a little and open yourself up. We try to hide our vulnerabilities all the time, it's an evolutionary trait handed down from our caveman days. You will feel some kind of attachment to this will to hide your vulnerabilities, hide your weaknesses from predators. Letting yourself shake, is letting yourself be vulnerable, and in this sense you may be very relucatant to do it, but it is opening up to these vulnerabilities that will instill confidence. Self-confidence is acceptance in who you are.

Now go out and let yourself panic

By putting your weaknesses on display, you'll eventually become stronger.

mico
    Gosh you've hit the nail right on the head but boy I am gonna find that so hard. I've spent much of my life hiding my vulnerablities particularly since my marriage breakup 10 years ago. Felt proud of the way everyone told me how well I was coping, bringing 3 kids up on my own etc etc it's a shame pride came before the fall.

I suppose I think that by saying I panic and I'm too frightened to go out on my own will make people think I'm not a fit mother or I'm slightly mad and I may end up in an institution doing something colourful with raffia matting.

Thank you Mico you are such a honey and so are you Trac. I promise to look at this admitting to my panic and not being ashamed of it. Not sure I can do it overnight though.

Lots of love

Piglet [:X]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information