Thread: Depression caused by event could it be PTSD?

Depression caused by event could it be PTSD?

hi
    My husband had a really simple hernia operation in march, during the operation there were a few very minor problems which meant that he had a bigger extra scar and was in for an hour extra but nothing major.
    BUT after the operation he had a big infection in the wound which left him with a big open wound (you could see the muscle and stiched inside through it!) an infected area which was painful and weeping and skin that was starting to die around it. He was on alot of medication making him sick and was back and forth to the hospital etc.

since then he has been down but the last few weeks it got completely out of control to the point where i couldnt get him into work for over a weeks becasue he was so depressed he was just crying uncontrolably in the mornings. He loves his work and seems generally happy so its was very confusing.

I was speaking to him a while ago and he i cant remember why but it truned to talking about the operation - only for a few second but i just saw his eyes fill with tears and he said " i didnt like being broken!".

could he be depressed because of the operation? if so could it be PTSD it doesnt seem like a major thing? he was quite ill for a while but I wouldnt say he was ever at deaths door if you see what I mean?

what would be best for me to do? he wont talk about it now and i think the doctor would just dissmiss it since he has just started taking antidepressants etc?

sophie

Re: Depression caused by event could it be PTSD?

Hi Sophie,
    Sounds like your husband is having difficulty with the op and its complications. If he has already been prescribed anti-depressants, then it sounds like the doctor has recognised this already. PTSD can occur when people perceive a threat to their life....it may be that your husband has had a health scare that has set him off thinking. Even if operations go ok, they are still a major thing for some people- it's a massive interruption to your normal exisitence, especially if you have to stay in hospital. Does he have an occupational health department that can assist him with recovery and returning to work? You sound like a very caring person and I'm sure he would know that you are there to support him. Just listen to him when he wants to open up and keep encouraging the postive thinking! Encourage him back to the surgery if things don't improve but don't forget that anti depressants can take some time to work. x

Re: Depression caused by event could it be PTSD?

Hi, if he was under this level of stress for an extended period it's no wonder he feels messed up.

It sounds like he has suffered some trauma (who wouldn't?) and it might be that he simply needs time to get over the shock and fear of what has happened. Try taking smaller steps with him, take him for a drive in the countryside and lunch at a country pub, something like that.

You might find that in this case, time is the greatest healer. If not there is always counselling!

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Thread Information