Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Panic Attack

Unhappy Major Panic Attack

Hi Everyone,
    I had a severe panic attack Saturday night ... it just wouldn't end. After 2 hours of suffering my spouse took me to the Emergency department. I was in absolute agony of mind and my body shook violently for hours! The worse part for me is the feeling that I can't bear it another second! That I can NOT stand being in my own body! And of course that just escalates things even more because there's no escape. Does anyone else get like that? I was DESPERATE for relief. I would have given anything for an injection to calm me down. Instead they gave me a Lorazepam with only minimal effects along with a couple more to take home with me. I have since seen my doctor and am getting back on Paxil (Paroxetine) and Diazapam.
    But I am terrified of that terrifiying feeling of not being able to stand being in myself.
    Would like to hear from others who experience this, since I feel so freakish.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by LookingForLight; 20-07-09 at 19:24.

Re: Major Panic Attack

You poor thing. Have you looked at Dr Weekes Book 'self help for your nerves' and the free downloads of her work, both available from the NMP shop. These will bring you comfort as she was a fellow sufferer and really understood this condition. It is so hard to accept that we are doing this to ourselves, as a panic attack can appear so powerful. I hope you feel a bit better now.

Veronica

Hi there

I have suffered the same Panic Attack feelings in the past. Unfortunately, when I get into that situation, I seem to feed the Panic with my thoughts. Which is very hard to get out of as the Panic seems so powerful.

Don't worry, I personally have the same thoughts when suffering as I am sure many other people do.

Please let me know how you are.

Jackie xx

Hi Veronica H,
    Thanks for your response. I've heard several of Dr. Weekes messages but do have have her book as yet. I'm confused about how to "accept" the feelings when it's the thoughts that are perpetuating them. And it's my thoughts that seem out of control. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Hi Jackie13,
    Thanks for the reassurance that I'm not the only one with such unbearable thoughts during panic. I'm doing a little bit better today... I've taken a couple diazapam and just feel kind of week and sleepy. It will take a week or 2 for the Paroxetine to kick in. I was on it for many years but came off it in January, hoping I could use natural alternatives instead (5HTP, Relora). Obviously these were not strong enough for me.
    Thanks again.

what do you mean by violently?
    I was out in the middle of nowhere a few years back, couldn't get a lift till the morning! my worst nightmare, i spent all night shaking non stop!
    least i had a bedroom to hide in.
    then i had a panic attack in the car on the way home, freaked out , screamed at my friend to let me out of the car! i eventually calmed down!

Hi mishel,
    What I mean when I say I "shook violently" was that is was very visible to anyone that my whole body was trembling constantly. It wasn't just a quiet internal shakiness that wouldn't be obvious.
    I'm so sorry to hear of your traumatic experience out in the middle of nowhere! It sounds terrible!

Hi again lookingforlight

I am trying 'mindfulness' at present as the negative thoughts and self judgements based on the thoughts are at the heart of panic anxiety. I am not far enough along the line to give too much advice on this yet, but if you put mindfulness into the search engine here I am sure you will find it is helping many of us.
    One exercise which is simple enough and has helped me, is to visualise a room in your mind with two doors. Let your thoughts come in (don't try to stop them, this is futile as it is the same as telling yourself not to think of a pink elephant...try it and you will see what I mean). Observe them but dont interact with them just watch them leave by the other door. Obviously you can't do this all day but if you sit and practise now and again you will get some peace and realise that you can chose not engage with them.

Hope this helps

Veronica

One of my main feelings, when I am having a panic is the wanting to get away from myself. I liken it to wanting to step out of my skin and be free of myself and my thoughts, it is an absolutely hideous feeling, it scares me more than anything else. It is this feeling that feeds and perpetuates the attacks when I get them, if I didn't have this feeling I could probably cope with my panic attacks.

So I totally empathise with the feeling and how terrifying it all is, hope you feel better soon.

RL

Hi

A couple of weeks ago I had a similar thing happen. It was during the hot weather, I had a panic attack when i woke up and could not stop shaking/shivering all day. I was convinced something major must be wrong because surely panic couldnt do that to me. I read the symptoms on the website but nothing reassured me that panic could last that long!

My doctors were very good saw me that evening. They increased the doseage of beta blockers I'm on and sure enough it stopped. I've had a couple of panic attacks since then and start to feel the shaking start all over again but it quickly subsides. Whether this is down to the medication or me trying to manage/not be so scared of the attacks I dont know.

I too hate being me at the moment and wonder how I will get through life with these feelings I have in my head at the moment. I am hoping a course of CBT will help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information