Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paracetamol, Codeine, Diazepam

Re: Paracetamol, Codeine, Diazepam

I know this is a very old thread, but I just wanted to add to the above that Codeine in a very low dose (8mg in 500mg paracetamol) is freely available over the counter both as Cocodamol (general mid-strength painkiller) and branded as Migraleve (migraine-specific tablets), and shouldn't be confused with any Codeine-based medications prescribed by Drs, which will be higher doses and therefore more "risky" (hence why they are prescription only). As long as the guidelines are followed for the over the counter options (the main ones being don't take with other paracetamol-based meds, and only take for 3 days before stopping and consulting a GP) they present a low addiction risk, and are effective as a non-prescription analgesic (I would be lost without them - paracetamol and/or ibuprofen alone don't touch a genuine migraine).

I obviously don't intend to belittle your experience in any way Gordon, but I also wanted to give the "other side" (as it were) so that anyone with sensitivity to health issues/HA didn't read this thread and panic that they were at an immediate health risk if they had taken an over the counter codeine product

Quote Originally Posted by Elle-Kay View Post
    I know this is a very old thread, but I just wanted to add to the above that Codeine in a very low dose (8mg in 500mg paracetamol) is freely available over the counter both as Cocodamol (general mid-strength painkiller) and branded as Migraleve (migraine-specific tablets), and shouldn't be confused with any Codeine-based medications prescribed by Drs, which will be higher doses and therefore more "risky" (hence why they are prescription only). As long as the guidelines are followed for the over the counter options (the main ones being don't take with other paracetamol-based meds, and only take for 3 days before stopping and consulting a GP) they present a low addiction risk, and are effective as a non-prescription analgesic (I would be lost without them - paracetamol and/or ibuprofen alone don't touch a genuine migraine).

I obviously don't intend to belittle your experience in any way Gordon, but I also wanted to give the "other side" (as it were) so that anyone with sensitivity to health issues/HA didn't read this thread and panic that they were at an immediate health risk if they had taken an over the counter codeine product
    Hi Elle,

No problem. As to migraine I have had that and bad all my life almost 64 years now. Pregabalin is the new wonder drug for it for those who cannot take other well know ergot derived drugs due to a history or family history of heart disease. I spent 24 years with nothing and Pregabalin is now helping a lot.

Gordon

IF EVERYTHING ELSE FAILS SEE YOUR DOCTOR!!!!

Wow, that's a long time to have had migraines. I've had mine for around 13 years (once every 4-6 weeks or so), which is plenty long enough. I have Imigran (sumatriptan) for my worst attacks, as thankfully there is no history of any kind of contraindicated disease in our family, and use the Cocodamol additionally for less severe attacks. I read recently about positive results from two separate studies into using acupuncture and Botox for chronic cases, which is promising for those people worse off than myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle-Kay View Post
    Wow, that's a long time to have had migraines. I've had mine for around 13 years (once every 4-6 weeks or so), which is plenty long enough. I have Imigran (sumatriptan) for my worst attacks, as thankfully there is no history of any kind of contraindicated disease in our family, and use the Cocodamol additionally for less severe attacks. I read recently about positive results from two separate studies into using acupuncture and Botox for chronic cases, which is promising for those people worse off than myself.
    I get up to 3 cluster attacks a week, some overlap. That is when the stone wall gets more damage from my head hitting it to get relief.

IF EVERYTHING ELSE FAILS SEE YOUR DOCTOR!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information