Thread: Martial Arts Panic

Martial Arts Panic

I really think that I've been doing better, but martial arts still gives me anxiety.

I got over the anxiety that came after I almost passed out in class. I still get a bit of anxiety before I walk into the dojo, but much less(I almost quit!).

I've been pretty good controling my anxiety. My master and sensei know about my anxiety, so that makes me more comfortable. But the thing is that I missed my belt promotion test last month, so I have to go out to another school to take the test. I've never been there and the fact that I don't know the people is a bit un-nevring. Any advice out there, some reasuring words?

thanks
    A.C

Well done for keeping going and making such good progress.

You might want to go there a couple of times and get yourself familiar with the building before you have to go and do anything there. It's exactly the same process as you do at your own school - just new people so big breaths, chin up and go for it..

Good luck - remember how well you've done.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Go for it Orion. I know it's easier said than done but I imagine the martial arts are great regular exercise and a good stress buster at times. Plus keeping a regular routine of meeting at classes and challenges like the one that is un-nerving you at the minute can really help your anxiety in the long term.

I know I have had experiences where I have felt obligated to do things that I didn't want to do, or at least was too scared to do but afterwards I have felt great about the achievement.

Have you ever thought about getting deeper into the spiritual side of the martial arts? From what I understand is it's all about mind and body working in harmony. Just thought that might be great for yourself, learning how to control your emotions as part of your hobby.

Well done Orion, You've made it this far, and that's magic.

It's good that you have told your master and sensei and they are able to support you.

Try not to worry too much about going to a new and different place to take your test.
    Would it be worth your while asking someone to go with you, a friend perhaps, just to give you a friendly face?

Remember your deep breathing, and concentrate on what an achievement your new belt will be. If you find your mind starts to wonder, think about the colours of each belt and what would wear that colour. Imagine a big yellow banana wearing a yellow belt and kicking seven bells out of Mr Panic performing martial arts.

Good luck let us know how you get on.

Love and light
    Liz xxx

Thread Information