Thread: short of breath

Unhappy short of breath

hi, for last few days i feel really short of breath, its strange, my chest just feels strange, its as if i cant get a breath, i have been to docs and he said my chest is fine and no tenderness or nothing. I have asthma and he thinks maybe its that. its awful because its constantly there, i have packed in smoking a week ago and im scared its a lung tumor or something that will be there all the time like emphsemia. what if the doctor missed something, im in a mess cos its all i can think about, i just want ti to go away, ive resorted to taking coedine to see if that relaxes me, i cant go on like this, i have a lil girl nearly 2, what type of mother am i if i just think im dying everday and its cancer. i just want to breathe normal and i dont want to keep pestering my doctor, please any advice ?

Re: short of breath

Your not alone with this, this was my first major anxiety symptom, i was scared to death and rushed to the hospital, had chest x-ray blood tests, ECG, oxygen checks and all were fine, of course even the docs telling me that never made it any better but now my breathing thing has gone and now i am worried about my twitching i am getting :( sounds like classic anxiety don't it, focus your mind on one symptom and the other will vanish almost, so far i though i have had a brain tumor, lung cancer, heart disease, TB, MS, ALS, you name it i think i ahve had it lol try and fix your mind on something else (i know it's hard) it had to take another major symptom for me to relax a little about my breathing, you sound fine to me, breathing is one of the major signs of anxiety. Take Care!

thanks for replying, its just strange cos i didnt think i was anxious about anything, good to know its a symptom of anxiety, wish i could beat it x

Sounds like it could be anxiety little_linz, A lot of time the symptoms creep up on you even when you think you're not feeling anxious.

take care

mick

Yes me too, i never thought i was anxious about anything, i kept thinking why am i getting this choking feeling all the time?? then i realized just me thinking about the problem made me anxious, and always thinking i was dieing just made it much worse and the cycle went on and on, until i realized, no wait a min i have had all the chest x-rays and all the other important tests to rule out anything, then BAM along cam these twitches and now my mind of focused on these annoying things all the time, it's soooo annoying, for one symptom to go away i have to focus on another major symptom :( :( just wish they could all go lol.

little_linz, I remember once back in college I was under a lot of stress from a relationship and I literally was short of breath for over a month! I finally went to the doctor and as soon as he asked me what was going on, I just cried! It all came out and he sat there and listened to me. I'll never forget such compassion. I think you are experiencing anxiety and perhaps you are stuck in the hamster wheel, as I call it: tigger=anxiety=shortness of breath=more anxiety. It is like a ride you can't get off. Right now that is your symptom and your mind has latched on to it and not only does it make it worse, but it also makes it last. Back in October, I started experiencing dizziness. I would wake up and feel ok, but then I started "checking"and I was dizzy again. This lasted, yet again, a month. I went to one doctor who told me it was anxiety and gave me meds, which I didn't take. Then, I decided to go to another and based on my story, he knew I was experiencing delayed grief and he talked to me about it. He suggested to take an antihistimine to alleviate the symptom, but when he got down to the root of the issue, I wasn't dizzy anymore! So, I ask you, what has been going on with you that has stressed you so much? Maybe it could be from quitting smoking (keep up the good work!!! I am proud of you for that!!). Letting go of something that has been a part of you for so long can cause anxiety. Or, it could be something else. You did the right thing by going to your doctor. I would believe him or her if they say you are ok. They know what to listen for and you were just fine. You are just fine. Just be patient with yourself and do some soul searching. You will feel better soon. Hugs, Wiskers ~

"We can't solve problems using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Einstein

aw thanks everyone i feel better, whiskers your message has made me feel great, i am having a bad month and i think i better go talk to someone, ive just moved house and my little girl has hit the terrible 2's early, maybe i just need a little me time. It really hit home what you said about "checking", i felt fine this morning and i kept checking to see if it was there. Im going to try be a little positive, what ever will be will be x

little_linz -- I am so happy I could help. It does sound like you are quite overwhelmed -- like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders, and don't seem to have a lot of time to just . . well, breathe. I go through that so much -- I have 3 kids under 7 so I can relate to not having any time to yourself. You and I both need to make time and TRY and take care of our battles one at a time if possible. Perhaps someone can help you sort those out so you can take the load off of you. I promise once you do, you will notice such a big difference. Feel free to PM me anytime if you just need to vent. Sometimes just having a sounding board helps. My best to you and I look forward to hearing how you are doing. Hugs, Wiskers ~

Que sera sera =-- whatever will be, will be. You are right. But gosh, why then do we worry so much?? Ugh!

"We can't solve problems using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Einstein

Thread Information