Thread: Borderline Smear & Family History of Cervical Cancer

Borderline Smear & Family History of Cervical Cancer

Hi all

i have had my smear result through which says it is borderline abnormal. i have read loads about this and understand that it is not cancer, and could go away on it's own and that even if they find it it is very treatable etc however...

... i can't help worrying though because my mum died of cervical cancer aged 36, and also her mother died of it too. I am 33.

the problem is no matter how many "successful" stories i read about or how many people tell me it could just be nothing i can't help but worry about my family history and i just keep thinking this is the start of cervical cancer.

is there anyone out there who also has family history of cervical cancer and who has a success story to tell?

Re: Borderline Smear & Family History of Cervical Cancer

I don't have a history of cervical cancer, but my mother died of breast cancer and I had borderline abnormalities from my smears over 3 years. They kept an eye on me as I had spotting and bleeding at undesired times and in the end I had cold coagulation treatment. That was over 5 years ago now and I have only just been given the go ahead to slot into the 3 yearly screening routine - I was monitored 6 monthly and then yearly.

With your family history, it is totally understandable that you feel vulnerable. However, you must remember that at this moment in time, your results do not show any cancerous or pre cancerous cells. I am sure your GP will want to re-check you in 6 months time - if you feel vulnerable because of that, it might be worth talking over with him/her your results and concerns?

Please don't worry.

thanks srge

thanks for your reply... yes i have to go back to gp in oct for a repeat smear and i guess depending on the results i will either have another one in 6 months (if it shows normal) or a colposcopy if it is borderline again...

i know it is so silly to worry these days as even if it does develop into pre-cancerous cells i know the treatment it so much better than 20 years ago when my mum died (and she never went for smears) but it is so hard not to think that the same will happen to me as it did her...

it is so silly to worry and the more i read online the better i feel about the whole thing. My little girl is just 2 and we wanted to try again for another baby but i think i will wait to see the results in oct and see what happens....

thanks for your reply and sorry to hear that you also had a sad loss in your family.... my best friends mum is currently having chemo for breast cancer... she had her last treatment yesterday and starts radiotherapy in a few weeks...

thanks for your reply - it is reasuring to chat to someone about it ... thank you x x x

hi

i had a borderline smear in jan 2005, another borderline one in aug 2005, then i had repeat smears every 6 monthsfor 2 years and theses were normal and i have now gone back to every 3 years my next one is due next year.

my dr told me not to worry as i got into quite a state especially with all the jade goody stuff but she was very good with me and she said there was no reason to bring my smear forward and to wait till 2010 as borderline just means not normal but not abnormal either, it can be caused by numerous things, i had just had the mirena coil taken out a few weeks before the smear in 2005 and she said it could have poosibly aggrivated my cervix etc etc

hope that helps xxxxxxxxx

thanks crunchie.. it is good to hear that it has gone back to normal vene after 2 x borderlines!

the more i hear about other peoples stories the less panicked i get!!! i have to realise that in oct i might even just have to wait another 6 months! we want to try for another baby soon though so i will check with the dr about that once i get my next results in oct.

thanks again x x x

i have also had 2 borderline smears. The first in September 2008 and the second in feb 2009. I went for a Colposcopy in June and was told it was nothing serious but they would take a biopsy to check it would clear by itself. I was not given any treatment at the time. I still haven't received the results.

Please understand that back when your family were diagnosed with cervical cancer, they probably didnt do the same kind of smear tests. These days they check for symptoms of the cells changing, likely caused by HPV. The reason people are still diagnosed with cervical cancer is usually due to them not going for regular smear tests.

If your smear tests are done when they should be (according to age), then it is now 99% preventable. This is due to the amount of time it actually takes for the cells to change. To develop cervical cancer and not be aware of it, you would have to go about 10-15 years without having any smear tests. To be at risk, you would have to have intermittent smears. To be safe, you would have smears when they are due and therefore prevent the cells from changing by having a treatment. The fact you are going regularly means you should not be concerned.

I appreciate your anxiety. My abnormal smears started immediately after my mum passed away from breast cancer, so naturally I freaked out. But on talking to lots of doctors, nurses, NHS and reading books and other peoples experiences, it put my mind at rest.

The business with Jade Goody was a poor example of how to look after your body. What at the time was considered a tragedy could have been prevented had she followed her doctors instructions and had a treatment.

I am in the same position as you, so if you want a buddy to freak out to, come to me

thanks xfilme

it is really reassuring to read that people are in the same situation.. i have really calmed down alot about it now... hope you get your results soon and that it is all ok...

thanks for sharing your experience

Thread Information