Thread: Is this normal?

Is this normal?

Just over 3 weeks ago I had my first major panic attack. It was the worst feeling in the world. Since then, I have had a constant feeling of derealization and not being connected to the real world. I know this is common during an attack but should I be feeling like this constantly, even when I am calmer? It makes me feel terrified. I can't go out anywhere on my own, except to take the dog around the block, and when I go out with my husband I can only manage short anxiety-ridden trips and the whole time I feel as if I'm in a bubble, as if I have some sort of barrier between me and reality. Apart from it really scaring me, I am so fed up as I have now obviously developed agrophobia and I used to be so independant. Nothing I do can seems to make the feeling go away. Will I always feel like this? Is it normal and is there anything I can do to make it go away? I can almost put up with the physical symptoms of anxiety, like rapid heartbeat etc, but not this thing in my head. Please can anyone help or reassure me.

Re: Is this normal?

It is horrible but it is normal to have derealisation when your nerves are very sensitised as it is your bodies way of protecting you while your nerves recover. There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes called 'self help for your nerves', published by Thorsons. This is available from the NMP Shop. Her work can also be downloaded free to your MP3 from the shop. I can not recommend this enough as it really explains what is happening to us, and how we can recover. This will get better.

Veronica

Hi

I recently felt like that for best part of a month. I was convinced i'd never get better. Veronica is right and it will pass.
    I couldnt go out either, in fact this is the first week i've managed to get out of the house, I couldnt even walk round the block or go out in the car i was so scared.
    I have just got Dr Claire Weeks book and although I am only a few pages in, it is really helpful. We have to learn to accept the way we feel and not panic then gradually the feeling will subside - easier said than done when in a state but it makes sense. Distraction might help too. Hang in there

Hi there

About 3-4 weeks ago I went through a "blip" and suffered panic/anxiety/depression. I felt exactly the same. However, I tried each day to have a little win, like take the dog a bit further on the walk, talk about how I felt a little more. I went to the doctors, he confirmed the "blip" and I have been referred to counselling to get me out of the loop incase the "blip" rears it's head again. I feel much better now.

You will get through it, but don't rush it and be nice to yourself.

Jackie xx

It's really wierd because nearly every post I read, I can relate to. I recently had a big blip and it left me with a constant feeling of anxiousness that wouldn't go away,the worst being in the morning.I had to go to GP in the end and was put on meds to help.I am now on the mend so please realise you will get over this feeling hopefully quickly.

After my first real panic attack which was abroad and a 8 hour flight i was just like you for weeks, things around me didnt feel real. I felt woozy sick and strange all the time and in the end the doc signed me off work. For about 4 weeks i woulnt leave the house atall and wouldnt stay on my own incase something happened too me. So my anxiety go worse and the weird feeling got worse i was in that circle. I did manage to get to see a councillor and she explained the more scared i was of it the worse the symptoms. Slowly i had to be left alone and then take little trips and go into the local shop it was hard at first but it got easier. I wont lie to you and say its completly gone because i wont go to the supermarket alone yet but ill do it soon. See your doctor i am sure he can help with meds or refer you for councilling
    denise

Thank you everyone for your replies. It helps to know that what I'm feeling is quite usual in the circumstances. I have listened to 3 of the claire weeks downloads and the section on derealization was particularly useful - I guess I just have to sit it out and believe that it will get better.

Thread Information