Thread: Self help books - any recommendations?

Self help books - any recommendations?

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing ok. I have posted before but here's a quick run down. Im 28, I have a small child and I have had health anxiety for about four years which peaked about three years ago. I have been on citalopram twice (currently not on any meds). I attend a CBT group which is run free locally by a fantastic woman who is a psychotherapist who does this griup in her own time.
    When im anxious I find the group and this forum really helpful, like most people i realise the medication is only a band aid which i feel temporarily help the symptoms and i am keen to help myself.

So the point of my thread was can anyone recommend any particular self help books which they have used and could recommend. There are so many on the market if would be great if anyone has any they find really good.

thanks in advance,

Laura

Re: Self help books - any recommendations?

Hi Laura

I downloaded the 4 Dr Claire Weekes sessions free from the NMP shop and found them to be excellent and I also bought a few self-help books and found the best to be 'Been there, done that?' by Sam Obitz. But google it first to see what others think - it had been recommended to me and I found as I improved I could focus more on it's content.

Good luck and take care
    Chantelle

Look at my recommended reading website page on the left.

I also have some books for sale in the NMP online shop and the A4 Intro books are cheap and very useful.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hiya laura,
    I found "The Promised Land: a guide to positive thinking for sufferers of stress,anxiety and depression" a good read and helpful. Its written by Dr Rick Norris and they have there own website that accompanies the book. They will also answer any emails you have regarding the book or general anxiety/stress problems. I found it helped to understand the problems more and help with a more positive approach to counter the negative ones we get. You could take a look at that,it's on Amazon or their own website

mick

Thanks everyone this is really helpful Ill have a look and let you know how I get on!

Laura xx

Hi Laura

I downloaded the 4 Dr Claire Weekes sessions free from the NMP shop and found them to be excellent and I also bought a few self-help books and found the best to be 'Been there, done that?' by Sam Obitz. But google it first to see what others think - it had been recommended to me and I found as I improved I could focus more on it's content.

Good luck and take care
    Chantelle

Thread Information