Thread: Afraid to leave my house-could it catch fire and kill my dog and cat?

Afraid to leave my house-could it catch fire and kill my dog and cat?

Crazy-but I'm afraid my house will catch fire if I'm not here. I worry about my little dog and cat struggling to live as the smoke and flames get closer.

I have been housebound in the past and everyday I feel it is a battle to get out the front door so I am concerned that this new thought in my head will lead to another (unwelcome) period of agoraphobia.

To make matters worse I live in a remote spot on a peninsula of land so it would take anyone atleast 30 minute top reach my house. Also I have no neighbours so there is no one to report the fire if I am not at home.
    My dog is very small so I am able to take her with me when I leave and thankfully my beloved cat eagerly goes outside for the day. owever the weather has been rainy and she hasn't wanted to go out and I don't want to force her into the rain just because I think the house is going to burn down. the other thought is forcing her into the rain is a small discomfort vs death if she is trapped in a burning house.

Getting an alarm system is too much money at the moment and I am really tortured by this these toughts. In my worst moments of anxiety / depression, guilt overwhelms me and I feel like I should have never adopted my cat and dog because I can't give them a good life if I am always sobbing.

I don't know how to react positively to these intrusive thoughts-any feed back would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Re: Afraid to leave my house-could it catch fire and kill my dog and cat?

Like you I have been reduced to tears so many times in the past week as I have been very down and have been having crazy thoughts. Is there a friend that can come with you for a little walk out of your house. When im scared to go outside I used to do a little each day eg. go to the end of the driveway, then the next day to the end of the road, then maybe to the end of the street/block. Take it bit by bit and try and maybe coax your dog and cat out for a walk.
    I am a keen animal lover and I always feel quilty and upset when I feel like I shouldnt have so many animals when I am so messed up = but at the end of the day they have really got me through some tough times. When I've felt like I've had no-one they have always been there. And thats whats always kept me going, knowing that they care about me
    "You're not alone,Together we stand,I'll be by your side, you know I'll take your hand. When it gets cold, And it feels like the end,There's no place to go, You know I won't give in,No I won't give in...,Keep holding on, 'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through, Just stay strong,'Cause you know I'm here for you, I'm here for you...."

Have youthought about getting an outside run with a shelter for the animals when you're not there? Over here you can get some quite impressive and comfortable structures to house your little ones when you're not there.

Thank you guys so much for the replies. I feel so much better about the whole situation now that I have a plan. Mudskipper that is an absolute genius of an idea ! I will go and get one tomorrow.

Cathy I know what you mean when you say your little guys have gotten you through some rough times. I don't know where I'd be without them - in my worst moments of anxiety and increasing panic I focus on my little dogs snoring and it calms me down ! I am taking your advice to heart and getting outside -and my 'friend' accompanying me is my dog 1

Thank you both for your help !

Hi
    Glad you like the idea, but I guess I should have said you should only do this if you're happy about leaving your animals outside. I wouldn't want to cause you additional anxiety!

Thread Information