Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of vomiting

Fear of vomiting

I hate vomiting, I don't just hate it, I'm terrified of it. Whenever I get ill, or if someone around me is ill I always get really panicky and end up in tears because I'm so scared that I'm gonna throw up. How can I stop this? What is the fear called?
    Thanks all.
    Rita

Re: Fear of vomiting

emetophobia I had this when I was younger. It all started when I vomited in assembly at school - it was so embarassing! For years I was really careful about what I ate, wouldn't eat food from takeaways etc. I avoided friends who had recently been unwell.
    I never told anybody about It and nobody ever mentioned it! I cant really tell you how to get over it, think I cured myself by getting pregnant, I had no control over the sickness then! Im not suggesting for minute you do this! lol. What about hypnotism? Ive heard this can work well for phobias. Hope you find some help, let me know, Im interested. Good luck, Angela xx

its emetophobia im suffering really bad atm
    if you ever need any one to chat to pm me
    the only time i got over my phobia was been pregnant too
    i luckly sufferd none with my first but my second i was nausea's all the way upto 26 weeks
    i took all sorts of anit sickness meds but had to be very carfull the doctor gave me some and it knocked me out for a day and i was 20 weeks pregnant he new i was obviously but i thought i was just going to hack it out from then on
    im on anti sickness meds now to try and ease my mind but still doesnt work

I'm 'emet' too, sorry you've had to find us

No-one would wish this phobia on their worst enemy, but it really does help to know you're not alone. to the site Rita x

Hiya and welcome! There are loads of people with Emetophobia on here and if you search the forum you will find loads of threads about it. Hypnotism with NLP is suppose to work well and at present I am currently saving up for it coz the NHS waiting lists are usually quite long! well in my area anyhow!
    In the mean time I take Bachs Rescue remedy to help chill me out and have started taking 5-HTP to help with severe anxiety but this site is brill for info on various types of therapies etc so have a read thro. Please feel free to PM me if you want to chat. Ive had Emetophobia for 25 years and am trying my best to get rid of it!!!
    Best Wishes

Hiya i'm the same years of suffering.
    If i knew how to get rid of it i'd tell the world for free because like angela above has said you wouldn't wish this phobia on your worst enemy.
    I to this day watch what i eat and where i eat although i have to stress that it isn't as bad now as it was all those years ago i do eat more now and more varied, back then i lived on toast and crisps.
    All i can say is it has got easier over the years but when your stressed (sometimes without realising) whatever you fear the most will become much more exagerated no matter what phobia it is, i have said on another post recently that i'm living proof of this theory because i have been managing my anxiety and stress ok for quite a number of years, but after recently going through some stress (which i thought i was managing) it has crept back up on me and i'm struggleing daily again very bad right now too.
    You will get great support here visit ev day and read some great tips and stories it will help just knowing you are NOT alone.

Sharon

Hi
    I am also 'emet' as well as suffering from general anxiety disorder. I think it was always there somewhere in the background but has really come to the fore over the last few years. I am back for the 2nd time at cbt and she reckons I need to quit the 'avoidance thing'. Basically I just want to cut myself off completely when I hear there is a bug!!
    Take today for example...happily I went off to the gym...half way through my workout the trainer on duty informs me she had a bug yesterday etc...workout ruined..managed to stay for about 10mins and then had to leave! In the car ...out with the hand gel..trying hard to tell myself it's ok I didn't get too close to her!! But then I start worrying that my hubby will catch it from someone and bring it home to me...cos of course he won't wash his hands unless I nag!!God where does it all end? To top it all off I work..wait for it... on a ferry. Lots of potential problems there...sea sickness...general public spreading germs...my life is just one long hand washing session.
    I have though started taking Bvits and inisotol and using aromatherapy oils to try to keep me calm ( The doc gave me prozac but the side effects were horrible) I have also bought claire weekes ' self help for your nerves' so here's hoping I can try and turn things around.

Good luck to all fellow 'emets'

Marla

OMG Maria how on earth do u cope working on a ferry?!?!!! wow! i wont ever go on one again after a school trip 17yrs ago when someone was ill on one and i freaked out! I would say ur doing extremely well as i am way more avoidant of most situations!!!
    Best Wishes,

To be honest going to work has got harder over the years but I keep telling myself I need to pay the bills and I have been there for 17yrs now! I do however do the avoidance thing with just about everything else...can't remember the last time my hubby and I had a night out...this then makes me feel guilty and down because I know he is suffering because of me!!
    Couldn't sleep last night and when I did eventually woke at 8am feeling ill...not sure if it was anxiety ( supposed to go to a friends house tonight for her 40th ) or if there was actually something wrong. Its really hard to distinguish between the physical feelings of anxiety and actual illness

Marla

well done for working for 17yrs and on a ferry ) i think thats amazing for an emetophobic!!! i struggle to hold down jobs coz as u say its hard to distinguish between anxiety and actual illness and thats something im trying to work out at the moment! why dont u and ur hubby try and start out with a little nite out doing something u really wana do?
    I have to really make myself do everything at the mo but did go to the theatre on sat and kept expecting the anxiety feelings to start but they didnt prob coz i kept trying to distract myself and telling myself i really really wanted to see the show! so with distraction,positive thinking and ur hubby u can do it ) I feel guilty coz my partner loves clubbing and obv thats my worst nitemare but i have been a couple of times coz i felt so guilty but i actually didnt enjoy it and my partner could see that i was so uncomfortable and just wanted to go home but i did stick it out til midnite!!! )
    Best wishes,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information