Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inositol..5HTP advice please

Inositol..5HTP advice please

After deciding to boot ssri's am going down this route and just got my first batch of both. Just wondering whens best to take em etc. Any info greatly appreciated...cheers in advance
    Paulx

Re: Inositol..5HTP advice please

I take 100mg of 5htp in the morning & the same as i get into bed. They are fabulous & have helped me so much.
    They reduce headaches, & anxiety & aid sleep!

Be careful what you are taking thought, u cannot mix alot with 5-htp. Do u mean vitamin B? If so i take both x

Agreed with Nickib about not mixing the 5-htp with much; be careful.

Inositol has helped me more than any medication or supplement. I took 2 with my breakfast, 2 with my lunch and 2 either in the evening after dinner or just before bed. The difference was, let's say, dramatic. It works similarly to SSRIs without the negative effects. If you did not respond to SSRIs inositol may not be much help; if you booted SSRIs for any other reason, inositol should be perfect for you.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Hello,
    Sorry to steal pauls thunder but where can i get inositol from, i just asked about it in my local health shop and was told it's just vit b. Is that right or am i able to get it from somewhere elsr cos it sounds like something i could benefit from. Best wishes with your try of inositol paul, i hope it works for you i don't really want to take ssri's either so let us know how you get on. Tc x

No it is NOT just vit b. Whoever told you that needs to be whipped. Fair enough it's categorised as vitamin B-8 but that's like saying a Dodge Viper is just a horseless carriage: technically true if you boil it down to its most imbecilic and child-like level!

Inositol is a substance that appears in your spinal fluid. Levels of inositol are reduced in people suffering from depression and other similar problems. Medical trials have proven that taking very large quantities of inositol "force" the inositol into your brain where it has a positive impact on emotional and some types of mental distress. Trials show it is as effective as modern SSRIs without any of the drawbacks. It works in three weeks or less, sometimes in a matter of days, and it works at low doses.

Taking "ordinary" B-vitamins will not have anywhere near as much effect as taking inositol, unless your body is deficient in those particular vitamins.

You can buy it from Holland and Barretts (or order it from them online if you can't leave your house or don't have a local H&B store). Tablets are 650mg each. Medical doses are 12-18g but you probably shouldn't take that much without guidance. I took around 3g per day and noticed minor improvements by day 2 and very strong improvements by day 4.

You can buy powder form if you want to take high doses but it is very expensive.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

How much did Inositol cost you PsychoPoet. and where did you buy it? You've got me thinking I might want to try it out.

i bought mine from holland and barretts,£8.99 for 100 tablets.first day on them today,so cant really comment on them,ive taken 3 today,first thing when i woke up then dinnertime then supper time

Yes, Inositol is a B vitamin, and is found in B-Complex, but if you are needing to supplement with it, then you probably need more of it than you can get in just a general B-Complex supplement. People with depression need a separate Inositol supplement in order to really get the amount they need and to really see any benefits from it. If you're having a difficult time finding it, look online. I get all of my supplements online now because I get much better deals this way.

I've tried 5HTP with no effect plus I decided against taking it after reading that it can be dangerous to take (only found this out after doing some research online into 5HTP).

What exactly does Inositol do? Does it help anxiety? I take B12 vitamins which on the pack says essential for mental health and performance. I got these from Holland and Barretts but can't say I feel any better from taking them yet. Been taking 1000ug for 2 weeks now.

Sorry about multiple questions, but:
    How much 5-HTP is safe? 100mg morning and 100mg night?Do you need to reduce the amount if combining with Inositol?
    Can get 100 Caplets 650mg for £8.99 are they worth trying with 5-HTP? And what shouldn't you mix with 5-HTP, is valerian root and omega3 safe?
    Last edited by Panic33; 20-08-09 at 22:27.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information