Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a hobby - a positive outlet!

Cool Getting a hobby - a positive outlet!

Recently I have visited an old hobby of mine - as sort of a positive outlet to take my mind off things.
    I started playing drums around 5 years ago but then when I started getting the axiety/depression/panic attacks around 3 years ago I didnt really do it as much.
    I decided to bite the bullet and dig out my electronic drum kit from the attic (you know the ones with the headphones) and sinse then when I am at home and feeling rubbish I decide to do an hour or so of drumming. Most of the time I dont feel like it but after I feel much better and get a sense of achievement from getting the fills right and learning new songs; and its also good exersise!

I would invite anyone to revisit an old hobby or strike up a new one - even if it takes your mind off things for half an hour thats better than nothing!

xxx
    "You're not alone,Together we stand,I'll be by your side, you know I'll take your hand. When it gets cold, And it feels like the end,There's no place to go, You know I won't give in,No I won't give in...,Keep holding on, 'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through, Just stay strong,'Cause you know I'm here for you, I'm here for you...."

Re: Getting a hobby - a positive outlet!

Cathy

You have a very good point there and i am really glad your hobby is helping you.

I used to love drawing but haven't done it in so long. I think you may have just inspired me to pick up my pencils again!

Lovely post thanks

Lisa
    xxx

My motto - Dont think about it, just do it!

Pick up that Pencil

xxx
    "You're not alone,Together we stand,I'll be by your side, you know I'll take your hand. When it gets cold, And it feels like the end,There's no place to go, You know I won't give in,No I won't give in...,Keep holding on, 'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through, Just stay strong,'Cause you know I'm here for you, I'm here for you...."

I totally agree.

I write songs and find the only time when my mind is 100 % not thinking about any form of panic or anxiety is when writing becuase my mind is completely pre occupied with that.

Im yet to try it on train journeys yet. I really should as it would most prob take my mind right off the panic.

Quote Originally Posted by cathytink3rb3ll View Post
    My motto - Dont think about it, just do it!

Pick up that Pencil

xxx

Ok i will!!

xxx

I find card making very theraputic. Once I get started I find that hours will pass by as I get so absorbed in it

Kate

sMINT - do you need a drummer haha? x

8. Re: Getting a hobby - a positive outlet!

Pursuing a hobby - an excellent idea in my experience!

Depression & Anxiety cost me my job almost 6 years ago now. One of the worst things about it was the sheer boredom, which does nothing to help your problems.

I had always had a passing interest in railways, so decided to pursue this as a 'proper' hobby. At first, this began by simply joining / reading railway related forums, and asking Mum to buy me a magazine or two. For a while, I had problems with agoraphobia, and rarely left the house. Eventually, as my interest in the railways grew, I finally decided to be brave, and go on a train ride. I wasn't going anywhere - I just rode a local train for the sake of it. Once I had done this, leaving the house became just a little easier - going for a train ride had 'broken the ice'.

My interest in the railways has led to another hobby - photography. I saved up, and purchased a basic digital camera to take with me on my train rides. Over the last few years, this has really developed, and I am now an avid railway photographer. I've even had a few of my pictures published, and they have featured on the front cover of many Train Simulator (PC game) products. I also maintine a Fotopic site.

I've also started a little music website, with some recordings of me playing my beloved keyboard. As well as being something to ocupy my time, it's nice to do something productive that I can share with others.

So, there we go - a hobby really can be a great help.

Cheers

Gary

P.S - I'm not trying to 'promote' or 'plug' my website here, but if anyone wants a look or listen, please let me know, and I'll post a link.

Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    I find card making very theraputic. Once I get started I find that hours will pass by as I get so absorbed in it

Kate
    I also use card making and scrapbooking. Luckily for me i work in a craft shop. bit difficult to do when i'm out and about tho lol. Unfortunately i'm having to take a break from where i work because i'm going through a bit of an agoraphobic phase.

Hobbies are a great distraction

I play guitar and it really helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information