Thread: It's starting again...don't believe it's anxiety..any advice?

It's starting again...don't believe it's anxiety..any advice?

Hi I've posted on here before a while ago as I had about 18 months of horrible symptoms EVERY DAY (palps, dizzyness, derealisation, shaking, throat spasm!) I jnow it sounds dramatic but I honestly thought I had a terminal illness & that was dying! Doc did not say I had anxiety but prescribed Citalopram to get rid of throat sensation - it worked & I came off it myself back in Feb of this year. I still have weird sensations, palps & breathlessness but i have just learned to cope.
    Anyway, a few days ago I was in the car with my husband& out of the blue I felt like the world was closing in, a huge rush went through my body, felt faint, shakey, felt like I was floating and not really there, heart pounding - so scarey I burst into tears - thought I was dying. Ordered a large glass of wine straight away for lunch & I felt much better!! I must adnit that since all of this started a couple of year ago I drink more than I know I should - has anyone felse found this
    Do you think this really anxiety - was it a panic attack? So worried that it is all starting again - any help/support would be appreciated xx

Re: It's starting again...don't believe it's anxiety..any advice?

I also went through a rough patch about 18 months ago and was on citalopram. It was great and I felt better within months and weaned off it last Sept. Then in Feb this year, like a bolt out of the blue, I began to feel unwell and went to the dr (locum) who said it was anxiety and to give it time. However, it spiralled into depression and I have been on cipralex ever since. I am so sorry I didn't see my own GP and get back on citalopram. If I thought I'd suffer like this again I would have stayed on a small dose for a longer time. Sorry to seem so negative but I would go to your GP and talk to them. On the other hand if this is an isolated incident and your form is ok otherwise I would just make a mental note of it and try not to worry. Worry can make things so much worse and dosen't help!!!

Take care and pm me anytume, if you want. Let me know what you decide

Chantelle

Hi there

You could be describing me when you say how you felt in the car. I came off Citalopram over 12 months ago and like you still feel a lot of the symptons but out of the blue I get the same sensation of a rush running through my body, feeling shakey, sick, numb etc etc. I've too found that a glass or two helps with the symptons and do drink far more now that I did before. I just wish they could find a relaxant in a bottle that worked as quick as a glass of wine.
    I agree with Chantelle, if you are generally ok in yourself just look at it as ones of those annoying things that happens sometimes, but generally just going and speaking to you GP will make you feel better.

Wishing you all the best.
    x

HI, Kermitfrog! I think you diagnosed your current problem without realizing it -- that's a good thing. Yes, you were having a severe panic attack, and this might be the reason: Be careful with alcohol -- that can cause panic attacks. If you are drinking more that could trigger them. Initially alcohol will relax you, I understand wanting that quick fix, but in the end it is detrimental to anxiety sufferers. It causes dehydration. It can, in small amounts, also be a stimulant which can cause palpitations and tachycardia and if you are dehydrated already from drinking it it can make symptoms worse. It can also increase IBS symptoms and cause insomnia. Also, be sure at the same time you are watching your sugar and caffeine intake -- you could have many things in your body that is causing it to misbehave. I would try and stay away from alcohol for awhile and see if it helps. Just an idea. Hugs, Wiskers~

"We can't solve problems using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Einstein

Thread Information