Thread: Psychiatrists

Psychiatrists

Hi All

Was referred to an NHS psychiatrist as I am on 45mg mirtazapine and about six weeks ago had a major panic attack and wasn't sleeping very well, all the doc wanted to do was throw sleeping tablets and more anti-depressants my way, which didn't work.

Went to see the shrink today and it was ten times worse, she told I didn't medication and that if I carried on taking it I would end up dead like Michael Jackson etc etc, and told me that I needed to reduce my mirtazpine to 15mg and that I could do that straight away with no side effects, but from looking on here it seems that you do get side effects in weaning off these tablets, so am really confused, fed up and hacked off with the medical profession. Sorry to rant but needed to get this off my chest.

Banana

Re: Psychiatrists

Banana I'm so sorry that you have had this experience with this psychiatrist. I was prescribed mirtazapine last year and when I came off it I did it by tapering ie going from 45mg to 30mg for a week or so to allow your body to get used to the changes in dose. I still suffered from horrendous side effects. Mirtazapine is primarily an anti depressant but I know it is used for panic disorder. 15mg is usually used as a maintenance dose with other drugs or as a starting dose. You will probably still feel the benefits of it to help you sleep in the lower doses. Does the psychiatrist want you to start a different drug? Or has she told you that you are not depressed and need some sort of therapy/support to deal with your panic attacks? To compare you to Michael Jackson is just being irresponsible. Go back to your GP and explain to him/her that you were unhappy with that psychiatrist. Maybe you can see someone else?

Hi Elizabeth Jane

The shrink told me I wasn't depressed, couldn't understand why my doc had referred me, told me I needed counselling and that medication wasn't the way forward. I can understand that medication isn't a cure but it certainly helps my function on a day to day basis. I am going to see the doc on Thursday and let him know exactly what I think about it. When the doc referred me she said that they didn't usually refer people as the ones they had had all come back with the same response that the mental health team were rubbish and I can understand why. The shrink said that I needed to be off all medication by the end of the year and that I shouldn't take anything at all, and that all people feel anxious and that I should let me body feel it as well!!! Not sure that she actually wanted to be there because all she kept doing in the hour I was there was yawning all the time and then told me how well she slept - not good telling me that when I have trouble sleeping!!! Don't think I will be using this avenue again.

Thanks
    Banana

Banana, you should try not to give up on them, although in my experience it is pot luck as to whether you get a good one or a bad one - and the bad ones can be really bad. The one you saw shouldn't be practising - similar to a psychologist I saw who adopted a bored pose throughout the one session I saw her for, studying her perfectly-manicured fingernails et al. I felt like slapping her.

I also saw a newly-qualified psychiatrist who treated me to her freshly polished professional smile no matter what I said.

On the other hand, I've seen two really good psychiatrists who really helped me - and never, ever put pressure on me to stop medication or tried to tell me I just had to put up with whatever issues I had. Best of luck in finding a good one x

I find your experiences with both your gp and psychiatrist very strange. Why on earth would your gp refer you to a psychiatrist in the first place if she/he didn't feel you had major issues. I don't get it at all.

I've had the yawning doctor as well - also raised her eyes to the ceiling a few times - bitch!!! Didn't see her again.

The treatment you have had is far from good or helpful. Are you depressed? Areyou suffering high anxiety symptoms?

Of course everyone suffers anxiety, but not to the degree that people on this website do. Your doctor is being very unsympathetic as far as I'm concerned.

Mirtazepine is a very sleepy med - 45mg is the highest recommended dosage as far as I know. Let us know a bit more about yourself and exactly what you are suffering.

Banana,

to tell you the truth, i have not met any psychiatrist that wouldnt get rid of you by giving you tablets.

Therefore if i were you - i would consider myself lucky. Whn I saw the first time good professional psychiatrist and psychologyst the same day: the last one told me clearly that most of the times these two doctors are in the constant fight: psychiatrist tries to put patiesnt on the medications and psychiologist to treat medications-free.

I was actually asking the psychiatrist to refer me to the psychologist to explore the medication free treatments and had to insist on it, while he insisted that medications are inavitable.

The fact that that doctor sounded a bot harsh is true, but deep inside he/she is correct. You should exaust cbt, group therapy, and other treatments, befre starting medications. Idially, but rarely these two doctors work togeher and give a small doze of medications just like a little push and then CBT and talking therapy does the most.

Again, this is my personal view, from my personal experience because i was always against tablets but was put on them as i was too deep into crisis with panic and depression and GAD. I am still on 10 mg of cipralex 3 years after but i hope one day i will get rid of it.

good luck.

Thread Information